Is water birth safe?

Hi,

I am very interested when I read about giving birth via water but was told different stories about it. The summary is that it isn't safe because of bacteria. Is this true?

Thanks!

Hello,

Waterbirth is a safe way to give birth. You can read more about waterbirth here. Pools that have a heating device in them (i.e. they don't simply use the hot tap to provide the warm water) are no longer recommended to give birth in because they can cause bacteria to grow in the water and so cause mum or baby to become extremely ill.

However, birthing pools (or even paddling pools) that are set up properly and the temperature is monitored (using a bath thermometer such as this) then birthing in water is extremely safe.

Note also that the baby will get the oxygen it needs via the umbilical cord until her face reaches the surface of the water and she takes in her first breath of air.

Waterbirth is a great way to give birth because the warm water acts as a natural pain reliever. The birthing pool also provides the woman with a private, personal space in which to give birth. Both of these factors mean that women who birth in water are more likely to have easier, quicker births and are less likely to need medical interventions (with the risks associated with these).

Please do post back with any further questions you may have about having a waterbirth.

With warm wishes,
    LJ

Hello,

Waterbirth is a safe way to give birth. You can read more about waterbirth here. Pools that have a heating device in them (i.e. they don't simply use the hot tap to provide the warm water) are no longer recommended to give birth in because they can cause bacteria to grow in the water and so cause mum or baby to become extremely ill.

However, when the birthing pool (or even paddling pool) is set up properly and the temperature is monitored (using a bath thermometer such as this) then birthing in water is extremely safe.

Note also that the baby will get the oxygen it needs via the umbilical cord until her face reaches the surface of the water and she takes in her first breath of air.

Waterbirth is a great way to give birth because the warm water acts as a natural pain reliever. The birthing pool also provides the woman with a private, personal space in which to give birth. Both of these factors mean that women who birth in water are more likely to have easier, quicker births and are less likely to need medical interventions (with the risks associated with these).

Please do post back with any further questions you may have about having a waterbirth.

With warm wishes,
    LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 9th September 2015 at 07:34 AM.

Hi all,

I am a midwife and researcher. My research to date has been around water immersion. I have also just started a page on facebook to allow for sharing of research and information.

What we know to date is that there are no additional risks. Water immersion is challenged based on the fact that we don't have randomised controlled trials which are seen as the gold standard of research. However women are not likely to want to be randomised and hence achieving one is challenging.

I am happy to share what I know! I am also in the process of running another study for women who have used water immersion for labour and/or birth.

Feel free to contact me
    Megan