Smile Want to know more about waterbirth

Hi there! While watching videos in YouTube, I encountered Water Birth and I would like to know something more about it. I would like to know what are the pros and cons of this as well as the cost. Thank you so much!

Dear duly3nn3,

We have lots of information on Waterbirth in the main part of the Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond site here.

In terms of the cost, it can be just part of a hospital birth or birth centre that has a birthing pool or if you are considering a homebirth then you could borrow a birthing pool or hire one.

Warm water acts as a natural pain-reliever so this can help you to deal with the contractions as they become more intense. This also means that a woman is less likely to ask for stronger pain relief (such as an epidural) so this reduces the risks associated with this. Women who have a waterbirth or less likely to need medical interventions which is better for mum and baby. Labour is likely to be quicker and easier because a woman is more relaxed. It is safe to birth in water. Your baby can still be monitored using a handheld device.

In terms of the disadvantages, if you wanted to use a tens machine then you can't do this with water. You also should try not to get in the water until you are in active labour as it can slow/ stop early labour.

With warm wishes,
    LJ

Thanks! Let me go ahead and find that information that you were talking about in the main page.

I've had 2 water births, feel free to ask any specific questions that you may have.
    I found that chatting with other mums who have similar experiences helped empower me more in my choices to birth in the water.
    Looking forward to hearing from you.

Blessings

Thanks sunnymumof5 - there's nothing like the woman-to-woman sharing of positive birth experiences to enable a first time mum to know she can birth her baby how she wants.