Hybrid View

Wink Breastfeeding vs. Bottle feeding

I know that breastfeeding is more healthier than bottle feeding. But i would like to know about other pros and cons of Breastfeeding and Bottle feeding? Is there any instance that mums should not breastfeed their baby?

Hello,

Speaking honestly, breastfeeding is hugely more beneficial to mum and baby and formula milk will always be an inferior, manufactured product compared to what is known as 'Nature's Perfect Milk'. Breastmilk is best suited for a baby's tiny stomach; being more delicately and intricately made than formula milk. Breastmilk protects babies from childhood infections and illnesses and even reduces the chance of childhood cancer. It has lifelong benefits such as increased brain development (confirmed by more research last year) and reduced likelihood of obesity and allergies. It is free! It comes out at the right temperature for the baby and does not need warming and then waiting to cool etc. It has natural sterilisation properties unlike formula and bottles which need to be sterilised. Breastfeeding reduces mum's chances of getting ovarian and breast cancer. You can breastfeed wherever you are; you don't need any equipment. Breastmilk has now even been found to contain stem cells and it is being used to treat cancers; it is complex and incredible and meets a babies nutritional needs perfectly.

Almost all mums will be able to breastfeed; it does take a lot of support and practice in the early days but just look at the benefits. Less than 3% of women will medically not be able to produce enough breastmilk for their baby but these mums can get additional support to do so eventually or can still partially breastfeed (although unfortunately this is not as beneficial as exclusive breastfeeding).

Perhaps some may think this response is rather one-sided; well it is because breastfeeding is the normal and natural way to feed your baby and there are countless benefits (backed up by research) to show this.

Thank you for asking this!

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Wow! I only knew about the natural milk thing but never knew about the other pros. Thank you so much for explaining everything. :-)
    Last edited by duly3nn3; 7th June 2014 at 01:30 AM. Reason: typo error

Yes breastmilk really is unrivalled. You are very welcome - it's a pleasure.

LJ

Thanks! But, when my sister had her first baby years ago, she was told that her milk was incompatible with the baby. Is this really possible?

This is highly unlikely although very sadly often misdiagnosed due to poor breastfeeding knowledge by some health professionals. Please have a read of this article on the kellymom breastfeeding site: Is my baby lactose intolerant?

What exactly was your sister told? How long did she breastfeed for?

Warm wishes,
    LJ