Breast Milk Contamination

Hi! I am kind of worried about my food intake while breastfeeding. Does everything I eat or drink get into my breast milk that could possibly harm my baby?

Hi blessedmum2,

Generally speaking, you do not need to be overly concerned. The benefits of breastmilk are so great that what you eat and drink pales into insignificance compared to the properties of breastmilk.

It's best to keep caffeine and alcohol to a minimum when you are breastfeeding. However, a lot of research shows that the occasional drink of either of these will not cause harm to your baby and certainly not when weighed against the benefits of the breastmilk.

There are certain types of fish (such as shark) that it's best to avoid when breastfeeding and keep oily fish to no more than two portions a week. But that is it really so please don't be concerned about this. Just eat normally and try to eat a healthy, balanced diet.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Hi LJ,

Thank you so much. This is so helpful and as a mum, eating healthy and balanced diet should be a priority especially when breastfeeding.

Regards,
    BlessedMum2

You are really welcome. It's also important to keep well-hydrated when you are breastfeeding.

You can't do better than a diet packed full of fresh vegetables and fruit (even better if they are organic) and wholegrains and high quality protein as well.

Warm wishes,
    LJ