Hybrid View

Baby's bedtime struggle

Bedtime is always a struggle for us. I know my 8-month old is tired when she keeps rubbing her eyes, but she just refuses to go to sleep. And she absolutely resists any attempts to rock her to sleep. What can I do?

Hi mummydarling,

How long does your baby nap for during the day? Does she nap well? Remember that 'sleep breeds sleep' so good naps will help her to get to sleep better at night.

Having a good, consistent bedtime routine can also help with this. Around an hour before bed it is best to start winding down and things like a bath, baby massage and a book together can help and be enjoyable for both of you.

Is her room dark enough? Black-out blinds can be helpful.

Do you use anything else to help get her to sleep such as breastfeeding, a particular toy she likes cuddling, singing, soothing sounds etc?

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Hi LJ!

Her naps change from day to day. Sometimes, she takes long naps and other times, short ones. I guess I have to be more consistent with her routine.

I will definitely follow your advice, especially winding down before bedtime and the baby massage.

Thanks a lot!

Yes I think this will really help you.

Have a look at this article too: Read Your Baby's Sleepy Signals by Elizabeth Pantley (author of the No Cry Sleep Solution).

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thanks!

How are you getting on mummydarling? Have things got any easier?

Best wishes,
    LJ