What household chores should I teach my 7 year old son?

My 7 year old says he wants to help around in the house, what should I have him do?

Hi Lorraine,

Thank you for posting this question.

Have a look at this previous thread on household chores - I think you will find it useful. If you look at Kate's reply she talks about her 7 year old and what she feels is appropriate for her to help with.

Above all, I would make it fun and help them to take ownership of the chores.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Hello LJ,

Yes, I have looked into the ideas and I've noted them down. For sure, having fun would get my son's attention. He is active and channeling that energy at being productive at home is perfect!

Thank you.

Lorraine

Sounds like it would work well with your son. My 20 month old and 3.5 year old absolutely love brushing and sweeping the floor after mealtimes! It's actually not something I've intentionally tried to instil in them but they like doing anything that involves copying what I do. I have got them a child's cleaning set (the brushes and dustpan and brush etc are still workable) and they like using them.

I hope it works for you and your son.
    Warm wishes,
    LJ

That is such a great idea, the kiddie set. I will try that. Thanks again LJ!

My kids love washing windows and dusting off furniture....every so often they will ask to wash dishes as well.
    Its great to involve children with tasks around the house.

Great advice here...thanks ladies.