My baby's hearing and eye checkup.Should I be worried ???

I have a concern, my doctor does not check my baby's hearing or eye site. She just looks at him notices that he see's well and hears fine,checks his strength, measures him, sees what side he favors and that's it. I was like thinking to myself no ear check or eye check I asked and they said not until they are in preschool! I find this hard to believe. HELP should I be concern with this doctor, my baby will be 4 months at his next appointment.

Hi Naush,

It is normal for babies to not need other hearing or eyesight checks from their first checks as a baby until preschool age. However, what is important is that if you have any concerns about your baby's eyesight or hearing then you should tell your doctor so that your baby can be referred for additional checks. Has your doctor given you some developmental check-lists so you know what to be looking for?

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Hello there,
    No, my doctor didn't give me any such check list. I will talk about it in the next appointment.
    Thanks for help

Hi,

I used to co-ordinate the newborn hearing screening programme in my area! Here you can find the hearing and communication developmental checklist.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

thank you so much for that.

You are very welcome.

I like to have my my babies hearing checked early on as one of my children had permanent hearing loss that went over looked till she was 5 years old.
    We don't know if she was born with it or she acquired it after birth.

I would ask your doctor at your next visit. Maybe he can refer you to someone who can provide those services to you.

Blessings

I'm sorry to hear one of your children has a permanent hearing loss that was not picked up until she was 5, sunnymumof5. How is your daughter getting on now? What is the level of her hearing loss (i.e. mild, moderate, severe or profound)? Has her speech and language development been affected at all? I hope you were properly supported once the hearing loss was diagnosed.

It depends on which country you are in, but the majority of babies now have their hearing screened at birth. This would pick up any congenital hearing loss (i.e. hearing loss they were born with). A child is very unlikely to develop an acquired hearing loss if their hearing screen was normal, although temporary hearing loss (e.g. due to 'glue ear') is very common in young children. The hearing screening test now used is an objective test rather than a behavioural test i.e. the baby does not need to respond in a certain way - this is why it can be used from birth. The ear is played a tiny clicking sound and a healthy inner ear will click back and this response is recorded and known as an otoacoustic emission.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

My daughter is now 14 and does not use her hearing aids any more. She does really well at reading lips and can hear for the most part. She has high tones hearing loss. Their is a medical term for it but I don't remember the correct wordage.
    The loss is permanent, however they originally said it would not get worse. Her last screening came back with slight loss.
    Her speech was affected, however she got quite a bit of support from the school system and saw a speech pathologist during school as well as a great IEP plan over the years.

I'd say she doesn't wearing her hearing aids now because of her age. That could always change the older gets and he acceptance of the loss.

The year she was born they just started the newborn hearing screens. She was not given one in the hospital at discharge though.

So we don't know exactly ho she acquired the loss. She did suffer from several rounds of pneumonia as a young child and was given several antibiotic shots during her illness. She also had very high fevers during those illness that would soar over 104 degrees.

She does very well now and one might not pick up on her loss at all.

Blessings

Thanks for letting me know sunnymumof5. It is a high frequency hearing loss when it is the high tones. It is in the high frequencies that we communicate the meaning of speech (rather than the power of speech) because the consonants are in the high frequencies and the vowels are in the low frequencies. It is good to hear that it is a mild loss as this often means that the child can communicate very well and compensate even without their hearing aids.

Yes I know hearing aid acceptance can be more of an issue with teenagers - sometimes individuals return to using them again/ using them more once they reach their twenties.

It is thought that some types of pneumonia can cause a hearing loss. If this was the case then it would not be a congenital (born with) hearing loss.

I'm so pleased to hear how well your daughter is doing. Do let me know if you have any questions in the future - as you may know I've worked with hearing impaired children for a number of years.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thank you LJ,

I will keep you in mind if anything comes up.

Blessings

Take care,

LJ