When will my baby start sleeping through the night ?

Hello all mothers !!
    My baby is 4 months old and is quite healthy and normal.But he have problem sleeping through the night,he wakes up for about 3-4 times for feeds.I follow his bed time routine and puts him to sleep successfully but then he wont sleep well and seems disturbed after a while.I would really want him to sleep all through the night. He usually have 3-4 naps during the day.When do babies usually start sleeping all through the night ? Is there anything I can do to make him sleep well ?
    Iam reallly disturbed due to this . Please help !!!

Dear Naush,

This is totally normal. Many babies of this age still need to wake a number of times in the night for comfort and for milk. Are you breastfeeding your son? Remember that breastmilk is produced on a supply and demand basis. When a baby goes through a growth spurt or a developmental leap they need more breastmilk - a baby will, therefore, breastfeed more frequently (particularly at night) to increase mum's breastmilk supply.

Are you co-sleeping? If you are interested in this then Unicef have produced safe co-sleeping guidelines. Many mums, particularly those who are breastfeeding, find that co-sleeping helps them to get a better night sleep whilst caring for their baby at night.

There is a lot of pressure in society to get babies to sleep through the night - but this is not how they have been made. Have a look at this excellent research-based resource: the Infant Sleep Information Service. The research shows that most children will not be sleeping through the night by 12 months of age.

Are you able to nap in the daytime whilst your son is napping?

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Hello,

My baby is on formula and yes Iam co-sleeping with him.And sometimes do nap whilst he is napping.
    thanks for the link,I will check it out.

I hope you find it helpful but post back if you have any other comments. You may also find this article helpful as it talks about realistic expectations for baby's sleep: The Con of Controlled Crying. (I'm not suggesting you are doing controlled crying but it's an interesting article from the gentle parenting perspective )

Warm wishes,
    LJ

My husband is not going to agree on this,thanks anyway.
    it was very helpful.

I'm sorry to hear that. Please do get your husband to have a look at the detailed research going on at the Infant Baby Sleep Lab (at Durham University, UK). They write:

' 'Extinction' methods require that both parents and babies break the link between crying and consistent parental response. This means severing a link that has evolved to ensure infants' survival.....Encouraging young babies to sleep longer or more deeply than is normal for their stage of development may put them at increased risk of SIDS'

Please do post back any further questions or comments you have.
    Warm wishes,
    LJ

I will seriously look into it. Thanks !!

You are welcome. Please do let us know any further questions or support we can offer you on this topic.

You may also find the information on Dr. Sears' website helpful; have a look at 31 Ways to Get Your Baby to Sleep and Stay Asleep.

Warm wishes,
    LJ