Hybrid View

How to detect and avoid ectopic pregnancy?

I have two friends who recently went ectopic pregnancy. How to detect ectopic pregnancy and how to avoid having such pregnancy? It's really a tragic experience.

Dear marierose,

I'm sorry to hear that your friends have experienced the tragedy of an ectopic pregnancy.

An ectopic pregnancy occurs when the fertilised egg implants outside of the uterus. Most ectopic pregnancies occur when the egg implants in one of the Fallopian tubes. It occurs in around 1 in 100 pregnancies. It is difficult to predict who it will happen to or why it occurs but it is more likely in women who:

- have had previous surgery on their Fallopian tubes
    - are aged over 35
    - have pelvic inflammatory disease
    - have multiple sexual partners
    - have previously had an ectopic pregnancy

There is some evidence to suggest that eating a diet low in sugar and high in green vegetables may reduce a woman's chances of an ectopic pregnancy because this may make it less likely that a woman's Fallopian tubes become restricted.

It is important to be aware of the symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy. Although it is rare it could be life threatening. Symptoms include:

- vaginal bleeding
    - pain in your abdomen/ cramping; particularly on one side
    - sharp shoulder pain
    - diarrhoea and vomiting

It is rare (especially compared to a miscarriage which sadly affects approximately 1 in 5 pregnancies) and I would hold onto that fact. When you become pregnant the most likely outcome is to have a full-term healthy baby.

Warm wishes,
    LJ