birthing partner

Who would be the best birthing partner?

husband? mum, sister or friend?

Hi kat1108,

Another great question!

Firstly, I would just mention that some women choose to have a number of birthing partners present. You may feel that different people would bring different strengths and qualities to your birth.

Your birthing partner needs to be someone that you are completely confident in. They need to understand your birthing wishes and be ready to act as an advocate for you when you are in labour if necessary. They should respect that you may only want them to be present - many women like to birth with no talking and no touching. You should be able to relax completely in front of them and be comfortable with them seeing you in labour - whatever form this may look like on the day.

Birth is a unique and wonderful event which can be a hugely positive experience. Many women want to have their husband present simply and understandably because they are the father of the baby being birthed. Some women also, or sometimes instead, choose to have a female birth support partner present.

Have you thought about having a doula there too? This is like having a professional birth support partner. Women who labour with a doula present have been found to have: significantly shorter labours, a more positive birth experience, less likely to have medical interventions, less likely to have an emergency c-section. It is certainly worth considering and something which empowered me to have a positive birth in my last labour.

With warm wishes,
    LJ

This is the first time I've heard about a doula.. will definitely look into it. Plus, my husband will be with me too.

Thanks very much for the reply.

Yes have a read into doulas at the link above - the research does support the work of a doula. A doula is also there to support your husband during the birth - in fact they can give you whatever support you feel you need.

What an exciting time for you this is.
    Warm wishes,
    LJ