Thread: Natural Birth

Hybrid View

Natural Birth

Hi, I have a very low tolerance in pain and I'm afraid of giving birth due to the pain causes but would like to have natural birth over C-Section (I fear of NOT getting pregnant/having a child) crazy, right? anyway... so is this painless birth real, really painless? pardon my ignorance but this fear bothers me but i really want to have children

Hi marierose,

Thank you for your question.

It is possible to have a comfortable birth where you are in control with birthing techniques such as a Hypnobirth, Waterbirth or Calmbirth. The issue with fear in labour is that it causes the body, and the uterus, to tense up and to resist the contractions. This then means that the contractions are far more likely to be perceived as painful and a woman may feel out of control, with a longer and more difficult labour.

However, birth absolutely can be a positive experience. In particular, if a woman feels comfortable and able to relax then she can 'go within herself' and turn off the thinking side of the brain and let the subconscious side of the mind take over. If a woman has confidence that her body and her baby have been designed to birth and will naturally know what to do then she can eliminate fear from the birthing process; allowing the contractions to smoothly and effectively open up the cervix.

A c-section comes with many additional risks to mother and baby including but not exclusively: baby more likely to have breathing problems, breastfeeding likely to be more difficult to establish, risk of infection. It is a major operation and should only be performed if really necessary.

Please also have a look at the positive birth movement. Millions of women, just like you, around the world have positive, natural births all the time. There is nothing special about these women - they just believe in themselves and not the negativity surrounding birth. A course like a hypnobirthing course can help you to dispel your fears surrounding birth which have may have been building up throughout your life. Meeting up with other women at a local positive birth meetup is a great way to hear more real-life positive birth stories too.

No-one can predict the journey of their labour or tell someone else how they will feel in labour. However, being well-informed and researched and surrounding yourself in positive birth stories can make every difference. Having a doula at your birth to support you and your partner also makes it more likely that you will have the birth you hope for.

I'm so glad you asked this question here. Birth can be a wonderful experience for you. Yes, it is hard work and will most likely have intense parts to it but a positive birth is achievable. Please do ask any further specific questions about birth that you have here.

Warm wishes,
    LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 18th June 2014 at 06:36 AM.

Thanks LJ! I'll look up the link you mentioned. I agree the thinking side of the brain needs to shut off

I do hope you find all the links useful and if they bring up more questions then just ask.

'Remember this, for it is as true and true gets: Your body is not a lemon. You are not a machine. The Creator is not a careless mechanic. Human female bodies have the same potential to give birth well as aardvarks, lions, rhinoceri, elephants, moose, and water buffalo. Even if it has not been your habit throughout your life so far, I recommend that you learn to think positively about your body.' Ina May Gaskin