Hybrid View

Blood sugar worries

I have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). I am afraid that I could develop diabetes if I become pregnant. I would like to know if this is possible. If it is, what ways can I decrease the possibility? This is one of my biggest concerns in getting pregnant especially considering I'm already overweight. I am working on that however. Any advice would be great.

That's where preconception care is needed. Before getting pregnant we need to prepare our body for a pregnancy. You can initially plan to lose weight so that your pregnancy will be healthy and safe. Have a regular exercise to detox toxins from your body and eat healthy foods like fruits and vegetables. Drink at least 8 glasses of water and stop smoking and drinking liquors. In other words have a healthy lifestyle to have healthy body.

Hi DecisionsDecisions,

Many women who have hypoglycemia do find that it gets worse in pregnancy (particularly in the first trimester). However, the good news is that for the majority of women this should not have any affect on your baby.

How do you manage/control your hypoglycemia currently? This will be something to discuss with your doctor again once you are pregnant. If you are concerned then I would advise seeing your doctor to talk it through before you conceive - your doctor should be able to reassure you.

Warm wishes,
    LJ