Nuchal fold testing?

With my first two, we opted out of the nuchal fold testing but I am considering it this time. It's an ultrasound that usually takes place around 11 weeks of pregnancy. Are you considering the nuchal fold testing? Why or why not?

Dear sgroves1,

Thank you for your interesting post. May I ask what makes you consider nuchal fold testing this time around (compared to your first two babies)?

I actually wrote a post on this topic here: What's Your Opinion on Down Syndrome Screening and Testing in Pregnancy?

In terms of my personal feelings on this topic, myself and my husband have chosen to always turn down the Nuchal fold testing. This is because anything that it showed us would not affect our decision to continue with the pregnancy. I would also find having this test stressful and I try to keep stress to a real minimum when I am pregnant.

Best wishes,
    LJ

ljmarsden,

Thanks for your reply. I share your view of not affecting the decision to continue with the pregnancy, despite the results. With my first two pregnancies, I just wasn't open to the testing for those reasons. If I am lucky enough to conceive bub number 3, I simply just want to be prepared, as I'll already have two children. I am a planner.

I can understand that.

I still decided not to go ahead with the test because it cannot tell you definitely yes or know - just the probability. I also didn't want to be put in the position where I was considering having amniotic fluid analysed.

However, this is a decision for each couple to make and I wish you all the best with deciding and with conceiving.

Warm wishes,
    LJ