Hybrid View

Worry about older child/children

For those of you mums who already have a child, are you worried about your older child or children feeling jealous of the new bub? My youngest is mummy's boy. I worry that he will have a hard time adjusting. My oldest did not have trouble with the transition to big brother. What will you do to help ease the transition for your child or children?

Dear sgroves1,

Yes this was a big concern of mine when I was pregnant with my second son. However, I actually found that the transition time (of my eldest getting used to having a new sibling) went easier than I feared. In particular, my experience (and that I have observed) has been that responding to the youngest's every need when you are pregnant and giving them lots of one-to one attention has helped them to connect better and quicker with the new family member and adjust to the new family set-up. I believe this is much better for everyone concerned than trying to 'wean' a younger child off so much parental attention which I have sadly also seen with difficult results for everyone.

In terms of practical tips - I found Dr Sears really helpful on this; please have a look at Introducing a New Baby: 11 Smooth-Entry Tips.

I also found that sharing books about new babies really helpful. Including talk of the baby in day-to-day conversation can be helpful and natural too.

Do let me know what you think,
    Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thanks for your reply, ljmarsden!