Old wives tales and other gender theories

When I was pregnant with my youngest, I researched early ways to determine gender. It was of course, all in fun. Some of them were old wives tales such as what you crave during pregnancy and some involved various "tests" such as urinating on baking soda to see if it bubbled and fizzed or not. Very few of these were accurate, as it turns out.

I thought it would be fun to list various different old wives tales or "tests" to determine gender early. Can any of you think of any?

I'll start. One old wives tale says that if you're carrying high, it's a girl. If you're carrying low, it's a boy.

Great thread....I love to see these.

First, to set the record straight, until it’s born, your baby’s heart rate will not be affected by it’s gender. But so they say, if you’re carrying a girl, then baby’s heart rate will be above 140bpm (beats per minute). A boy is said to have a heart rate under 140bpm. A study published in the Journal of Reproductive Medicine (1996) has dismissed this theory, as has other research. Your baby’s heart rate will change often during a pregnancy, depending on the baby’s age and it’s movement. Anything from 120-160bpm is normal for an unborn baby.

I tried this one a few times and i didnt find it to be quite right....check for yourself....

If you combine your age at the time of conception with the number of the month you conceived and the resulting number is odd – then it’s a girl on the way. If the resulting number is even, then it’s a boy for you.