Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hello Mam Kate!

Hope you still remember me.

Can I ask help? I take a Beta HCG (ECLIA) blood test yesterday. Can you interpret this?

Reference Range............0 to 5 IU/L

Within Range Result........1.430 IU/L

Outside of Reference Range..... -

What does it means?

I will be waiting for your reply...

Warm Regards

Amy

Hello Amy,

It's good to hear from you again.

The way I interpret this result is that the test showed a result of 1.430, which is between 1 and 2 (please correct me if I'm wrong) If that number should have read 1,430 (in the thousands) then that's indication of pregnancy. If it truly is 1.4, and the reference range is between 0 and 5, then it just shows that you have a very small amount of hCG in your blood. Some women always have a small amount of hCG in their blood - others only have a small amount of hCG in their blood if they are in their first week of pregnancy or if they have had a miscarriage.

I'm curious as to why you took the blood test. Did you take a home pregnancy test first, and was it positive? Was your period later than normal? Were you feeling pregnant?

If you can give a little more background information it will help me put more pieces of the puzzle together so that I can give you a more definitive answers.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hello Mam Kate as I told you before my last period is December 15, 2012. Then when my husband came home last August 18 up to October 14, 2012 almost everyday we make love because we still long for a child. Although now I don;t have a regular period I know I ovulate month of August. September and October. I know when I have cervical mucus and wet.

Month of October I feel different. I always had cramping and tighteneing in my abdomen up to now and sometimes slight dizzy and that is the reason last November I had a home pregnancy test and it shows a faint line. So i began to be curious and last November 27 I decided to go a hospital to have a blood test for Hcg.

Then that shows the result..

The Reference Range is in IU/L.........................0 to 5 IU/L

The Within Range result is.................................1.430 IU/L (between 1 and 2)

What do you think I am pregnant?.... Does it means that if there is a presence of hcg in my blood within the reference range a woman is pregnant?... I read that some women who had a low hcg in their blood had a normal pregnancy.

I am praying that I am pregnant. I had a personal doctor whom I always trust but she is abroad right now because her mother died. I had no one to ask for help regarding these inquiries.

Hope you will reply the soonest

Warm regards

Amy
    Last edited by readme_mumsies_byAmy; 29th November 2012 at 02:28 PM.

Hello Amy,

From what I can gather, your last period was Decmeber of 2011 (nearly a year ago) and you think you may have ovulated in August, September and October.

I am assuming your blood pregnancy test was on November 27th, just yesterday.

If you had ovulated in August, you would not have ovulated in September or October without having a period.

So let's assume that you ovulated in October, and the last day you had sex was October 14th, the last day that your husband was home. I'm going to assume that you ovulated 5 days later, giving you a possible conception date of October 19 (this is the latest you could possibly have conceived if the last time you had sex was on October 14th).

If you conceived on October 19th, then your hCG level would have been around 20 on November 3rd (at the latest). You say you had your blood hCG test on November 27th and the result was only 1.43 (under 2). This is good indication that there is not a viable pregnancy. Were you possibly pregnant when you got the faint line? Yes, it's possible. Are you currently pregnant? The numbers indicate most probably not.

If you want to know more, you can ask to have a progesterone test taken, which will give you another indication of whether you are pregnant or not, but with an hCG level of less than 2, it's nearly impossible to sustain a pregnancy.

Maybe it will help you better understand how hCG is produced and why it is present during pregnancy.

hCG is produced in larger quantities (detectable with a home pregnancy test) from 6 to 12 days after conception, when the embryo implants in the uterus. Before implantation, very little hCG is present.

Once the embryo implants, the hCG is produced to tell the corpus leuteum to produce progesterone so that the pregnancy can continue, and the woman won't get her period (the lining of the uterus is not sluffed along with the growing baby). The corpus leuteum is formed from the follicle that released the egg and is located in the ovary.

Once the placenta is large enough, it takes over progesterone production in larger amounts, to sustain pregnancy.

Once implantation occurs, hCG levels double every 2 to 3 days. So let's say baby implants on day 8. By day 10, hCG levels will usually be able to be detected by a home pregnancy test. The most sensitive home pregnancy test I've found registers hCG at 10 mIU/ml though most are not that sensitive and will register a positive reading at 20 to 25 mIU/ml.

Considering that 20 mIU/ml is actually a low reading (a reading that most women pick up around 9 to 11 days post conception) you can see how low a quantitative test of 1.430 is. It's actually such a small amount that some women who are not pregnant will have just that much in their body all the time.

It truly is hard to know whether you were pregnant or not. If you had a very faint line on a home pregnancy test, and then the blood test showed a reading under 2, it is possible that you may have conceived but something was wrong with the embryo or your body didn't produce enough progesterone to carry it. There are many reasons for very early miscarriage and miscarriage rates are extremely high in women who are in their late 40's like you are.

I hope this makes sense to you. I know how you must feel because for a year I tried to get pregnant and I couldn't. It's heart breaking.

Have you thought at all about adopting? I have a friend in the Philippines who is in her 40's and they recently adopted a baby. She loves that baby and is very happy now that she has a child. I also have a friend who is in her 40's and she just had her 6th miscarriage. I also have a friend in her late 20's who got a positive pregnancy test and then tested a few days later and it was negative. She started her period a couple of days late, so all indications that conception occurred but she had a very early miscarriage. And I have a friend who is in her 30's and is 3 months pregnant with her 2nd child. She had a miscarriage before having her first baby.

I just wanted to share that so that you understand that miscarriages are common, especially in the 40's. Continue to eat well as this can increase the quality of your eggs, but also realize that if you go a year without a period and you're in your late 40's, that you may be entering menopause.

Oh - I just thought of something. I'm 49 years old and my last period was in February. Last month I thought I was going through menopause because I simply didn't expect to get another period. Then I started doing lots of juicing with fresh fruits and vegetables and after 4 to 6 weeks of doing that, my body had a period, and it was a good period - a good color of red blood, very little brown blood (just brown initially for a couple of hours) a good flow for 5 days. I hadn't had a good period like that for a couple of years.

I know that if I continued to do the juicing that I most likely would have another period 28 or so days later. You may want to invest in a good juicer and really focus on getting 3 heads of green leafy vegetables into your body every day, along with other fruits and vegetables. There's an excellent documentary called "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead" which shows the incredible health benefits of juicing. I hope you can watch it sometime. It is very inspiring. If you can't find it, at least you can take a look at some of the tips from the producer on how to do the juicing. You can see them on his youtube channel.

Here's the trailer for the film - it will give you a little insight as to how juicing can improve your health (think fertility and egg quality).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv3vEXy_EwU

Please let me know if you have any questions or need any further help.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hello Mam Kate,

With all your informations I think I should take already a visit to my trusted doctor when she came back.

The reason why I began to be curious is that month of October i begun to have cramping and tightening of my abdomen up to now, felt slight dizzy sometimes and like now I measure my belly it is 31 inches considering I am a thin and short woman. Before it is not like this.

If you will rea all my previous post I followed all your advice before my husband came. I take essential fats amino acids in the form of fishoil food supplements, olive oil, foilc acid, dont drink coffee, soda milk only pure water. I also eat healthy fruits vegetables and lean meats only.

In as much as still hoping to conceive, I did all of these things. That is why maybe I ovulate even If I dont have a period.

If I will follow the juicing, can you give me what are the fruits and vegetables you put in your juicer. Kindly share it to me. I will do all just to have a baby. I know there are menopause baby. And nothing is impossible if you have faitgh in God and I believe in the blessings of God.

And one thing, the laboratory that test my hcg in my blood uses........IU/L and not mIU/ml..... I know they are have different interpretations. Can you explain further.

I really need more insights.

Warm Regards

Amy

Also I had read many articles that there is a possible pregnancy during menopause until you dont have a period of one year. And that women in menopausal year do ovulate also. So there is a chance.

What can you share regarding this.

I hope I am not bothering you with all my inquiries.

Warm regards

Amy

And you also said before that all women have different body characteristics. Others have low hcg during pregnancy while others do have.

The reading of 1.43 is IU/L and not in mIU/ml... they have different interpretation. Please explain further

what is the equivalent of 20 mIU/ml....... in IU/L for me to know where it is between the refernece range of 1 to 5 IU/L?

Mam Kate... I convert the result of 1.43 IU/L which is in liter to millimeters...

1.43 multiply by 1000 my per liter is 1430 (one thousand four hundred thirty) milliliters or 1430 mIU?ml..

Correct me if I am wrong...

because the hcg result you are explaining is in ml... while the laboratory test that I toook uses liter...

Hope I can get an accurate result.

Warm regards

Amy

Hi Amy,

I apologize for the confusion. You are correct in that the test was done in International Units per Liter (IU/L) and I was speaking in milli-international units per milliliter (mIU/ml). However,

Milli-internation units to milliliter is equal to international units to liter. They are an equal, 1 to 1 conversion.

Does that make sense to you?

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hi Amy,

I'm just checking in to see how you're doing and to see what your doctor said when she returned from her trip.

Warm Regards,

Kate