How often should I have my son brush his teeth?

My 7 year old I is now starting to grow his permanent teeth, how often should I have him brush without bruising his exposed gums?

Hi Lorraine,

It should be twice a day for two minutes each time and at this age it is best if you closely supervise/ help him. Use a pea-sized amount of toothpaste. Does your son see the dentist regularly? Keeping sugary food to a minimum really helps to avoid cavities.

I hope this helps - please post back if you have any further questions on this important topic.
    Warm wishes,
    LJ

Hello LJ.

Thank you for your reply. We do see our dentist regularly, two times a year and she did advice on having him brush twice a day. Most of the time, I'll have him brush longer than 2 minutes and now I think that is too long.

Thanks again!

Lorraine

Yes if his gums are hurting then you can be a bit more flexible with teethbrushing on these days. Does he use anything to help with his gums?

Warm wishes,
    LJ

What he uses is just his kiddie toothbrush and toothpaste. I believe I need to shorten the brushing time and teach him how to do it gently.

Thanks LJ!

I was going to suggest a soft toothbrush and possibly changing the toothpaste brand?
    Hope his gums respond quickly.

Blessings