Thread: Back Pain

Unhappy Back Pain

Hello, Working in an office would normally require me sitting for a long time. I have observed that after those dreaded hours of too much sitting, I can hardly walk. How do we deal with this?

Hello,

Thank you for asking this important question Jay. Unfortunately, back pain can be a common problem in pregnancy.

This article, written by our resident midwife Jane, explains a bit more about Back Pain in Pregnancy.

Exercising every day can help with back pain in pregnancy. Using a pregnancy support pillow to get comfortable at night can also help (note that it is best to lay on your left side from the second trimester onward).

Pregnancy massage and spending time in warm water can also help. Pregnant women should also speak to their midwife about any back pain.

Having a good posture is important, especially if you spend a lot of time sitting at a desk. I would say try to take regular, short breaks. Avoid slouching and using cushions or back support pillows to get a good position.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

After reading the post by Jane , now I know this is a common concern among pregnant women. Thank you so much LJ for redirecting me to the said post about Back Pain. I enjoy much browsing through the page.

Kind regards,
    Jay

Hi Jay,

If you are having back pain after giving birth (I noticed your baby is a month old) then you'll want to be sure you are using pillows to support your back when you sit to breastfeed, and that you prop your feet up on a stool to make yourself as comfortable as possible. I remember leaning over to breastfeed my first baby, and that put extra strain on my back and did not result in good positioning of baby at the breast.

For my 4th and 5th babies, I saw a Chiropractor during and after pregnancy, to help my back and hips to be in alignment. This definitely helped reduce/eliminate back pain. We've got a wonderful area on this website for those in Australia who are wanting to find a Chiropractor (or other type of practitioner).

I would highly recommend that you have an adjustment by a Chiropractor or Craniosacral Osteopath to help realign your spine and pelvis. Your body went through a lot during pregnancy and childbirth, so an adjustment can really help to bring things back into alignment and alleviate pain.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hello Kate,

This is exactly my concern while I was pregnant with my baby and after delivery. This has caused too much of a concern since there are times that I can hardly walk and have to take a couple of minutes to find my balance in getting up before I initiate walking. I tried opening it up with my doctor once but there was no answer coming from her. Now I know I should have consult a Chiropractor to have myself checked.
    Thank you so much for helping me in getting this sorted out.

Kind regards,
    Jay

I'm glad this information was helpful. A Chiropractor and a Craniosacral Osteopath can adjust newborns too. Hi had an Osteopath adjust my new baby and myself, and she said it was really interesting to see the correlation between baby's structure and my structure in the way that baby was positioned in my womb and how my body compensated for that. There's definitely a correlation so a Chiropractor should be able to help.

Warmly,

Kate

Thank you Kate. I appreciate much of your advice. Have a lovely day!

I'm having serious back pain too! But is it safe to seek help from chiropractor? during which trimester is better?

yeah, you can take help from a chiropractor, but better to do it in your own limits, be careful, take advice from your doc also regarding trimester period.