Pre-pregnancy diet?

Hi, my husband and I are trying to start a family and are having some fertility issues. I am wondering if there are any women who had previous miscarriages and then got pregnant with a healthy baby that made changes to their diet. I am wanting to do anything that I can to increase my chances of a baby sticking, but I just don't know what to do in terms of diet.

Hi picksomeflowers,

Thank you for posting this question. I have been reading your other posts too. I am so sorry that you have experienced two miscarriages in a row. However, this is most likely to be a chromosome problem with the baby and, like 1 in 5 of all pregnancies, would always have ended in a miscarriage no matter what you did or did not eat. Women tend only to be considered to have recurrent miscarriage when they have had 3 or more miscarriages in a row. I know this can be difficult when you have experienced 2 consecutive miscarriages but it is statistically most likely that your next pregnancy will result in a full term baby rather than a miscarriage. But I know statistics don't always help when you are both grieving and wanting a baby.

Have you started taking folic acid supplements? This is important even before you become pregnant (i.e. when you are trying to conceive). You should avoid: alcohol, smoking and caffeine when you are trying to conceive or are pregnant. Also aim to keep stress to a minimum. Here is a detailed article on Safe Eating and Drinking Before and During Pregnancy.

So, it is unlikely that anything you ate would help you not to miscarry the baby - most miscarriages would sadly always have occurred because at conception the baby did not have the right number of chromosomes needed for the pregnancy to progress beyond a certain point.

Please post back if you have any more questions or if we can support you further with this.
    Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thank you, LJ. I was not taking folic acid when I got pregnant the first time, but started as soon as I found out. I was taking it the second time though. Thank you for the information.

You are welcome.

I do hope some of this information helps you.

Warm wishes,
    LJ