Hybrid View

Fertility and Aging

My husband is 43. I am 30. We have had two pregnancy losses in the last three months. It has been heart-breaking. I can't help but wonder if our age, or more specifically his age, has anything to do with it. What do you think? I don't want to do bring it up and make him feel like it is his fault, but I also don't want to suffer another loss.

Hi picksomeflowers,

I recently answered a similar post here; you may like to have a look.

To summarise what I explained in the post linked to above, a man's fertility decreases very gradually after age 35 or 40 and a woman's fertility levels decrease far more significantly from age 35 onward. As you are under 35 it is unlikely that your miscarriages were caused by the age of you and your husband because at your age your eggs would normally repair any defective sperm. Sadly partners of any age (even in their late teens and twenties) can experience a miscarriage (due to chromosome problems with the baby).

I understand how difficult it is to try again when you have been through one or more miscarriages. Please keep heart that many women sadly experience miscarriages and go on to have a baby. Only you and your partner will know when you are ready to try again.

Thinking of you,
    LJ

Thank you again for the information, LJ. I really appreciate everything that you have shared with me!

You are very welcome. We look forward to continuing to support your journey to parenthood on here.

Best wishes,
    LJ