Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)

Hi, I am 27 years old and married for 3 years. When we planned to start our family, i was diagnosed with Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). What are my chances of getting pregnant with PCOS?

Hi janemartina,

I'm sorry that you have some fertility issues.

As you know, PCOS affects the way you ovulate and some women with PCOS do not ovulate at all. What are your periods like?

The good news is that, with management or treatment, most women who have PCOS are able to successfully conceive. What has your doctor recommended for the management/ treatment of your PCOS at the moment?

Do you have weight issues? This is common with PCOS. I know it can be difficult but you are more likely to conceive if you are able to control your weight. Please have a look at this previous thread on diet and PCOS.

Some women find that going onto the contraceptive pill for a few cycles and then coming off and trying to conceive in the first cycle upon coming off the pill helps them to conceive. This is because this method can cause a woman with PCOS to ovulate.

How long have you been trying to conceive? Has your doctor talked about fertility medications/ treatment?

With warm wishes,
    LJ

Hi LJ,
    I have been trying for a couple of months now to conceive. Ya i used take contraceptive pill for coming off but fortunately i am on my regular periods for the past 8 months. I checked my blood sugar level and i am within the range. But still my doctor has prescribed me Metformin.

Hi janemartina,

As you may know it is considered normal to take up to 12 months to conceive. I'm pleased to hear your doctor is helping to treat your PCOS. Metformin can reduce androgen levels and help PCOS sufferers to ovulate.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Hurray Thank you LJ.

You are very welcome. I wish you all the best with conceiving soon.

Warm wishes,

LJ