Is Obesity a reason for Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome?

Hi,
    I am 27 years of age and recently i was diagnosed with Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). I fall under extreme obesity category and i am much worried that i can never get pregnant. Is obesity a major reason for PCOS?

Hi janemartina,

Thank you for your question.

There is still research going on into the cause of PCOS but it is thought to be due to abnormal hormone levels. In particular, women who have PCOS have insulin resistance which leads to high levels of insulin and this is what interferes with their ovulation. It is also thought that PCOS is a genetic condition.

Insulin resistance also causes weight gain. This is why one of the signs of PCOS is being overweight; the two are closely linked.

So, rather than you being overweight causing the PCOS it is likely that the PCOS makes it more difficult for you to maintain a healthy weight. However, saying that it will be easier for you to conceive if you are able to manage your weight better. I'm so sorry you have PCOS and you are worried about it. Many, many women who have PCOS do go on to conceive.

Please be encouraged that even a small weight loss of 5% could significantly improve your PCOS symptoms. Do you currently exercise? It would be wise to have a weekly exercise regime. Muscle building exercises are particularly useful for PCOS sufferers. Pack your diet full of as much fresh fruit and vegetables as possible and keep carbohydrates to a minimum.

Please do post back if you have any further questions on PCOS; we are here to support you on this forum.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Dear LJ,
    Just last month I joined a fitness center and following exactly the same diet mentioned by you and have lost 10lbs. I feel happy that i am on a right track. Thank you very much LJ.

You sound,from all your replies, to be very much on the right track. You are doing the right things to help you conceive!

Warm wishes,
    LJ

I am very happy to know. Thank you LJ

Just keep going and do what you are doing!

after a months time again will check my weight and will let you know.

We'll be here to support you on this forum in the meantime.

I am 27 years old also dealing with the same thing! My cycles are extremely irregular and my doctor gave me provera to induce a period. I am over weight as well. I was actually wondering the same thing! Thank you for your post.