Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) with regular period cycle

Hi,
    I am 27 years old, and i was recently diagnosed with Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). But to my surprise , I am regular on my periods cycle and my friend have told me that PCOS will be identified with irregular periods. When i consulted my doctor, she said as long as my mensuration cycle are regular there are high chance of getting pregnant and she said there are chances for Twins pregnancy as well. How is this possible? can any one explain this?

Hi janemartina,

Whilst PCOS does tend to mean a woman has irregular cycles (or doesn't ovulate at all) it is possible to suffer from PCOS and have regular cycles. How regular are your cycles? How long is a cycle for you?

How was your PCOS diagnosed? A blood test can be used to see if you have a higher then normal androgen hormone level (which occurs in PCOS sufferers). An ultrasound can be used to see if you have cysts in your ovaries. If your periods are regular then you would typically have both of these tests performed in order to diagnose PCOS.

I am not aware of PCOS sufferers naturally being more likely to conceive twins. However, many PCOS sufferers are given fertility medication (such as the drug Clomid) to help them conceive and this does make conceiving multiples more likely.

I look forward to reading your reply.
    Warm wishes,
    LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 6th July 2014 at 01:42 AM.

Hi LJ, I was diagnosed PCOS during Ultrasound scan . My cycle is 30 to 33 days. I am not pretty sure about the Androgen hormone level. May be i need to look into my blood test.

Thanks for your reply. To diagnose PCOS you normally need to have at least 2 of the following:

- irregular menstrual cycle
    - cysts on an ultrasound
    - blood test showing higher than normal androgen levels

The ultrasound scan does give a good indication but if you feel your periods are regular then you could request a blood test to confirm this.

Hope this helps,
    LJ

Hi LJ,
    Will request my doctor for my blood test

That sounds wise. Do let us know how you get on.

Best wishes,
    LJ