Does PCOS cause diebatic?

Hi,
    I have been diagnosed with PCOS. I am given Metformin pills as the treatment for PCOS. Generally Metformin are given for Diabetic. In my diagnosis, I am not diabetic. But still why am I prescribed with Metformin.

Hi janemartina,

Metformin is also prescribed for PCOS sufferers because it reduces the levels of the hormone androgen in the body and it can help to start ovulation/ make ovulation more regular. Many PCOS sufferers find that they are able to conceive when they take Metformin.

Best wishes,
    LJ

Thank you LJ.
    But taking Metformin makes me feel gastritis, so i don't feel like taking during day time. My doctor has prescribed me 1500mg per day. But i am taking 500mg only at night time per day.

Dear janemartina,

I would talk to your doctor about this is you are not taking the full prescribed dose. This could have an impact on how effective it is. There are other medication options available to most PCOS sufferers if you are particularly struggling with Metformin. Again, it would be best for you to talk to the doctor who prescribed you the Metformin about this.

Best wishes,
    LJ

In my next consultation i would talk to her about this. Anyways thank you LJ.

I'm pleased to hear this janemartina. Let me know how you get on.

LJ