Cleaning my baby's teeth

I am very confused on how I clean my baby's teeth well. He is a year old now but always refuses to use the brush and its a hard time for me to brush his teeth.I try brushing his teeth as gently as I can and take good care to make it a smooth experience but he absolutely hates brushing teeth and starts crying.I wonder if there is any problem.please help me !!! How can I make teeth brushing fun for my baby ?

Hi visita,

I can really sympathise as I also struggled with teeth cleaning my older son's teeth when he was just over a year old. I learnt the importance of making teeth cleaning as fun as possible. Make up teeth cleaning songs and dances, clean your son's toys' teeth in the daytime, let him have a toothbrush as a toy, let him clean your teeth, read books on teeth cleaning together etc.

Some babies prefer it when their parents use a finger tip toothbrush (a tiny toothbrush that goes over the parents' finger) - it is extremely soft and also easier to control the movement. You could also use a clean muslin, wet and with a tiny tiny dot of toothpaste on it. Do you use children's toothpaste? Have you tried changing brand to see if this helps?

I don't think there is a problem - what you describe is normal. An article which has really helped me to look at baby/toddler teeth cleaning from a different angle is this by Little Hearts Gentle Parenting: The Terrible Trouble with Toothbrushing: A Toddler's Perspective. There are lots of useful, gentle tips in this article so please do read it and let me know what you think.

Remember that babies teeth frequently at this age so their gums may be extra sensitive.

There are some Sesame Street teeth cleaning resources here but you may find them a bit old for your son.

Do let us know how you get on.
    Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thank you so much for your valuable advice.

You are most welcome. I hope that teeth cleaning gets easier for you and even becomes fun.

Warm wishes,
    LJ