Natural Remedies for Cold and Cough

We have had a cold/cough going through our family and I saw a post on the forums of another mum who has a child with a cough, so I thought I'd post some suggestions for natural remedies you can give your child to speed recovery and quiet a cough.

You could try making a mixture of honey and ginger juice and giving that to your child twice a day to help quiet a cough and boost his immune system. I haven't tried this, as I only now learned about it, but it's worth a try and the ginger and honey are really good for the immune system.

Here's a video showing you how to make this natural cough syrup which can be done in a matter of minutes.

Here's a Homemade Cough and Cold Syrup recipe that is mostly honey and onions. I've used something like this in the past and it worked for me.

I have a wonderful Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioner who makes up a wonderful herbal blend for my children, depending on what kind of cough they have (not all coughs are the same - some are dry, some are productive, etc.). I used this herbal blend with one of my children this month, and it really helped to speed her cough recovery.

I know it's important to reduce/eliminate sugar and white flour products simply because those things will suppress the immune system and you want your child's immune system to be as strong as possible when healing.

Does anyone have any natural remedies they use for a cold?

Warm regards,

Kate
    Last edited by 5Homebirths4Kate; 22nd October 2012 at 01:21 PM.

We get through the cold season with steam from the shower, the neti pot, and peppermints. However, I am very interested in trying this homemade cough syrup recipe. Great post!

Hope your family are feeling better now Kate. This information is great for us breastfeeding mums too, who need natural remedies.

-We use a couple of drops of Tea Tree Oil put into very hot water and stood in a beaker somewhere in the room (out of the reach of children!) to help with nasal congestion.

-Chicken soup has natural healing (and feel good!) properties: there's a good recipe for Organic Chicken Soup here.

-Vapour rubs (made from essential oils or even beeswax) can be used on babies over 3 month old: rub it into your baby's chest. You can even make your own vapour rub.

-From 6 months old, extra fluids also help baby's and children to get through a cold/ cough quicker.

-Try to get as much rest as you can!

I know an easy remedy: Rub some Vaporub on the base of your feet and wear socks over them before going to bed. This is an easy and non-invasive way to get rid of the congestion and cold.

Anukriti - I had forgotten about that one. Thanks for posting it!

Kate

Thanks for sharing that wonderful video Kate. Indeed ginger really helps in boosting the immune system. It is even a cure for other ailments also like inflammation. When my father's gums are swelling, he uses ginger to soothe it. And it works!

Hi Kate,
    Great post on natural remedies for cold and cough and like to add to cure cold and cough take steamy shower, drink hot soups and wash your mouth with saltwater. Watch what you eat and increase your water intake. Blow nose more often, gargle and avoid alcohol, caffeine and other stimulants. Avoid exercise and take rest.

Thanks for sharing this Hary - I have also found that inhaling steam helps to loosen mucous and deal with a cough or cold.

If you are breastfeeding then you should continue breastfeeding your baby on demand when they have a cough or cold. Many babies feed more frequently when they are feeding unwell. A few drops of hand-expressed breastmik applied to the nostrils can help to loosen the mucous and also can heal the cold more quickly.

Best wishes,

LJ

During any season change we have found that symptoms of cold & cough are quite common. Therefore we need to go for natural and other remedies that help to prevent cold & cough. Natural remedies include garlic; herbal tea and others.

Garlic - that's an interesting one! Thanks paulharper I will stock up on that.

Quote Originally Posted by paulharper View Post
    Natural remedies include garlic; herbal tea and others.
    Cough has always been a problem esp to our our place and weather. Is this the one where you have to boil the garlic? can we put honey also? or just plain garlic and water?

I hadn't thought of garlic until paul harper mentioned it above so I've been looking up some natural garlic remedies too. I like this garlic and honey cough remedy. Note though that you should not give honey to children aged 12 months or under (because honey can cause botulism in babies).

Hope you and your family stay healthy

LJ

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarsden View Post
    I hadn't thought of garlic until paul harper mentioned it above so I've been looking up some natural garlic remedies too. I like this garlic and honey cough remedy. Note though that you should not give honey to children aged 12 months or under (because honey can cause botulism in babies).

Hope you and your family stay healthy

LJ
    Thanks LJ! me too didn't thought garlic can help relieve cough, and yes use of honey only for older kids