Yearning for another but unsure due to age

Hi Everyone,
    I am a 39 year old woman who has two children ages 5 and 6. I have recently pondered having another child for some reason recently. I always only wanted two children, never more than that. Am I suddenly going through some kind of hormonal change as I enter menopause?? I fear that at my age, I may be endangering my baby, but on the other hand; recent studies show that woman are now starting mother hood later in life after their mid 30's.

So, my question is...What are the things I should consider before becoming pregnant at such an age of 39?

Dear lovemykids (love your forum member name!),

At age 39 one of the most likely difficulties women experience is being able to conceive. This is because from age 35 a woman's fertility levels start to significantly decrease as both the quality and quantity of a woman's eggs decreases. However, you should still have over a 50% chance of successfully conceiving.

There is unfortunately an increased risk of miscarriage as your age increases. There is also unfortunately more chance of your baby being born with a syndrome such as Down syndrome (because of the decreased quality of the eggs).

However, saying all this statistically the most likely outcome is that you would conceive and you would have a healthy baby. Many women in their late 30s and early 40s have healthy babies every day.

Do you feel you are starting to go through the menopause? Age 39 would be quite early. You are more likely to go through the menopause early if your mother or grandmother did.

However, no I don't think it is just your hormones wanting another baby. I think that if this is what you are deeply desiring then you should talk to your partner about if you both want to start trying to conceive.

It may help you to start some preconception care now. How long did it take you to conceive your two children? Do you have regular periods?

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thank you for your response. Yes it was quite easy to get pregnant. I also have regular periods.