Lightbulb Can Magnesium Help Morning Sickness?

Hi ladies,

I haven't been able to find anymore (factual) information on this so thought I'd ask. I saw an article mentioning that women who are low in magnesium are the only ones who get morning sickness. This article also suggested that taking magnesium supplements three months before falling pregnant would stop women getting morning sickness.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this? I had severe morning sickness with both previous pregnancies (threw up 16 times in one day with my first!) Wondering if this is worth trying and if so, what type of supplement would be the best?

Dear Susannah,

I'm sorry to hear that you suffered from such bad morning sickness in your pregnancies - that must have been extremely difficult.

A magnesium deficiency is thought to make morning sickness more likely (although this is not always the case with women who have morning sickness). You can naturally increase your magnesium intake as part of your preconception care. Foods naturally high in magnesium include: dark leafy greens (including spinach and kale), nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, whole grain foods and bananas. Only good can come out of making sure you have plenty of these in your diet. As an example, one cup of cooked lentils and one cup of cooked spinach would be equivalent to a 300mg supplement of magnesium. Therefore, you can easily increase your magnesium in your diet naturally rather than taking supplements.

A number of medical studies (including in the Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology) have found, as you say above, that magnesium levels are lower in women who suffer from more severe morning sickness. I hope increasing your own magnesium levels will help you in your next pregnancy.

Warm wishes,
    LJ