Counting calories and pregnancy

Hello,

My name is Patricia
    I've been overweight most of my life and I've lost most of the excess weight in the last 2 years. I've done this using a calorie calculator which gives me a limited amount of calories that I should eat per day. This limit is at 1800 kcal/day, because right now I'm just trying to maintain my current weight.

I am also trying to conceive and I'm a bit worried about how getting pregnant will change my caloric intake limit. I know I am going to gain some weight but I wouldn't want to destroy all of my progress by just giving up on the calorie counter.

I'd like to know if there is a known amount of calories that a pregnant women should eat or what kind of changes have to be made in order to keep the baby healthy and the mummy happy with her weight.

Hi Patricia,

For the first six months of your pregnancy (first and second trimesters), you won't need to have more calories than you did before you became pregnant. That's about 2,000 calories a day.

However, during the last three months of your pregnancy (third trimester), you will need an extra 200 calories a day, making a total of about 2,200 calories a day.

Your midwife will record your weight at your first antenatal appointment. She can also tell you what a healthy weight gain in pregnancy would mean for you.

I highly suggest that you add some physical activity to your daily routine. About 20-30 minutes of walking or exercise or even prenatal yoga is lots of fun!!

With a combination of healthy diet and exercise your body will be prepared to grow a new life.

Please keep us posted on your journey into motherhood.

Blessings

I guess it should be easy to stay within that calorie limit.
    Thank you for replying

Best wishes!