Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thanks for the reply LJ
    I think my biggest worry is listeria and toxoplasmosis. Based on the way I have been washing my lettuce, jas there been any risk of those?
    I think I just need some reassurance
    (I was never this paranoid for my last 2 pregnancies :P)

Please don't worry. It sounds like what you have been doing has been fine. The salt washing guidelines just give an extra clean to the lettuce.

I hope you are able to relax and enjoy your pregnancy.
    Best wishes,
    LJ

The following question was written by our new forum member amawji - welcome to our forum and congratulations on your pregnancy.

Amawji sent it to me by private message and is happy for her question to be shared here.

'Hello,

I have a CONSTANT fear of contracting listeria. I know that it is rare, but I still worry about it quite a bit.

My question is this:

I ate a piece of Manchego cheese while I was in Mexico that had been sitting out in the heat for a couple of hours! We called the place that we bought it from and they said that was pasteurized. This was about 4 months ago(I was in my first trimester, now I am in my third). If I did get the listeria bug back then, would my baby still be okay by now? Or could it have problems at birth still? Like would it take 4-6 months for a problem to show up, or would I know something was wrong by now? I have had many doctors appointments and ultrasounds and everything is okay, but could a problem show up so much later? Like after I deliver?

Thanks so much!'

Dear amawji,

Thank you for your message.

Please try not to worry and do remember how rare listeria is. Most symptoms start sooner rather than later. It is also reassuring that the cheese was pasturised.

Based on what you have shared, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

In terms of the time for the symptoms of listeria to appear after infection, symptoms usually appear within 1 month but would appear within 70 days. Again, you have passed this time period so I would not be concerned.

You may find it helpful to take a relaxation, Hypnobirthing or yoga class in pregnancy. I know it can be hard (speaking from personal experience) but keeping stress and worry to a minimum in pregnancy will benefit you and your baby.

Best wishes,
    LJ

Hi ladies i hope this thread is still active. I am currently 23 weeks pregnant . I have kept tjis pregnanct to myself as i suffered a late loss last feb at 38 weeks. Two weeks ago my daughter went to play at a friends house we had never been to before. The mom is lovely and invited me in for tea. They are dairy farmers and unknown to me at the time she used unpasteurised milk in my tea, she had no idea i was pregnant and they use it all the time. I am so terrified that this milk may have contained listeria. Just wondering if you think the hot water in the tea may have killed any potential listeria in the milk. I have had a blood test taken will have to wait two weeks for results am so worried. I developed a sore throat and runny nose two weeks lster. Would blood test two weeks after drinking milk be valid. Also i didnt drink all of the tea. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Hi dearg3,

I have 5 children and have eaten raw beef, raw cheese, raw milk, raw honey and raw eggs during my pregnancies with no harm.

I want to put your fears to rest and let you know that listeria in raw milk is extremely rare. According to the Weston A. Price Foundation, "raw milk actually contains beneficial bacteria that is proven to kill off harmful pathogens. Because of the missing beneficial bacteria in pasteurized milk, harmful pathogens are able to flourish in the "dead" milk.

Usually a dairy farmers will drink their own raw milk during pregnancy, so I would ask if she has ever had raw milk when she is pregnant (my guess is that her answer will be "yes").

When doing a search for information about listeria in raw milk, I ran across this excellent article on the safety of raw milk.

They mentioned that the State of California monitors and tests all of their raw dairy products multiple times per MONTH. The state has never found one pathogen (salmonella, E.coli or listeria) in any of their products. Even more interesting is the fact that not one human pathogen has ever been found in the hundreds of environmental swabs that have been taken at their facility.

There is nothing you can do while waiting for your test results, and worrying will only add more stress to your body and your baby. If, in the very rare event, you may need to fight a pathogen (even a cold or flu virus) your body needs to be the strongest it can be. Your body will be much stronger if you say to yourself that you are very healthy. This mindset actually helps the body to fight infection.

Again, there is a very low chance that you contracted any pathogen from the raw milk. On top of that, the tea was hot which would most likely kill any pathogens in a small amount of milk.

Enjoy every week you have with your little one and know that you have a great chance of giving birth to a healthy baby.

Warm Blessings for an uneventful pregnancy and a healthy baby.

Kate

Hello, Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by bisogun35 View Post
    Hello, Have fun
    Hi Katie,
    Thank you so much for your reply. I am trying not to worry too much i hope that these next rwo weeks fly by so that i can get a negative result please God. I am so so careful with everything i do and for this to happen just adds to the extra stress. The Mum did say she drank the milk all the way through her pregnancies and she has four healthy kids. I cant but worry i will be the unfortunate one.

Dear dearg3,

I'm sorry to hear about your concerns and I'm so saddened to hear about the loss of your baby last February. I have no words to say to such a loss. You have my thoughts and sympathies.

As Kate says above, you would be highly unlikely to contract listeria from drinking unpasturised milk in tea. Unpasturised milk is not a common way to contract listeria - is is far more commonly obtained from undercooked meat. I can't say it is completely impossible I am afraid but it would be extremely rare. This low probability is made even lower by the fact that boiled water was poured onto the milk. It is safe to drink unpasturised milk which has been boiled in pregnancy; so whilst your friend didn't quite do this she did go a way to raising the temperature of the milk. All these factors (added to the fact that listeria in pregnancy is rare in itself anyway) make it extremely unlikely that you contracted listeria. Please try not to worry (I know it's easier said than done) as it is best to keep stress to a minimum in pregnancy.

Also, listeria most commonly results in stomach symptoms (vomiting and diarrhoea) which you have not described.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

The issue with pasteurised milk is not so much if it has just come out right now - though there is a small chance of some bacteria being on the cow's teat - but more if it is left around, not chilled fast enough, not kept in sterile containers etc as it will happily grow all sorts of things that might get into it.

I'd expect dairy farmers would have just got enough that morning for the tea and breakfast not stock pile it at room temperature.

Thank you for sharing this Cole and welcome to the forum.

LJ

Thank you ladies for both of your replies i really appreciate ypu taking the time to reply .

You are really welcome dearg3.

I wish you all the very best with your pregnancy,
    LJ

Hi ladies, this may not necessarily be in relation to contracting Listeria, more general food poisoning I suppose though the fact that Listeria can be relatively symptom free is what has causes my on going anxiety. On Friday night I very stupidly ate a pizza which had thawed from frozen (as had been put in fridge instead of freezer) then re-frozen as I thought it wouldn't do any harm being veggie, however pretty much the minute I'd greedily consumed it I started researching the wisdom of refreezing thawed raw food and it is universally condemned. It had goats cheese on it which I know (in the UK) is fine if cooked but if it's been frozen, thawed and re-frozen, could that cause Listeria? I haven't been sick.or suffered any adverse consequences but as mentioned, it's the symptomless aspect of Listeria that worries me and I can't stop stressing, I am 16+3 by the way. What would you guys do if it was you, nothing? Or speak to a doctor? Many thanks!

Hi, I too am panicking about listeria! I am 8 weeks pregnant. I read somewhere online that feta was ok to eat as long as its pasteurised. Then I spoke to a friend who is a nutritionist and she said it is definitely a high risk food for listeria! I have been eating it the whole time and salads from the local cafe before realising I shouldn't be. Now I have a cold (or listeria)- I have been a little achy, sore throat and headaches (which I was getting before the 'cold'). I haven't had a fever or diahhrea though. I know the chances are its just a cold but could my symptoms possibly be listeria? Do you think I should get a listeria test?