Transitioning 17 month old to his own bed

We co-sleep with our 17 month old (no judgement, please). He has to snuggle with us in order to fall asleep. As we prepare to transfer him to his own bed, what tips/recommendations do you have? Thanks!

momtomax,

How awesome you are co-sleeping. We have coslept with all 5 of our children.
    Currently our 3 yo is still in our bed and our 5yo is on a mattress on the floor at the end of our king size bed.
    He changes his mind every few nights where he wants to sleep and we help him move his bed to which ever room he desires for the night.

I highly suggest that you get a twin size mattress and place it beside your bed....take it one day at a time from their.
    You can also start to decorate your child's room to his preference and make it exciting and intriguing. He may choose to sleep in his own room and maybe not.

Go with his clues and desires.
    Everything will work out just fine.

Blessings

Glad to hear we are not weirdos for co-sleeping! I think families should do whatever works for them. Our problem with co-sleeping is that our son moves around too much and kicks. A bed on the floor is a great idea. Thanks!

Definitely no judgement momtomax - co-sleeping is a wonderful way to bond with your babies/children and promotes breastfeeding and helps parent and child to form a strong attachment. Have you read this article by the inspiring Pinky McKay: Co-sleeping, is it part of bonding?

I do think that everyone in the family needs to be happy with the co-sleeping. We have loved co-sleeping and gradually there has become a time when it became clear our child and us wanted more space. I have found it useful to have a double mattress on the floor in another room (if possible) and start transitioning to the child sleeping on their own in another room by first sleeping with them in this room. A gentle, gradual retreat process can be easiest on everyone.

Have you read any books by Elizabeth Pantley? I can highly recommend the No-Cry Sleep Solution which is written for co-sleepers too.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

I have not seen any of the suggested reading- I will look into it.

Reading about how co-sleeping promotes breastfeeding just reminds me about my parenting journey thus far. We went from weaning from night breastfeeding to weaning entirely and now are going to embark on his own bed. It's a good thing, with some growing pains. I feel motivated-

Yes have a look at those resources and let us know what you think.

Congratulations on breastfeeding Max into toddlerhood. Did you know that at age 12 months a baby can still get over 90% of their nutritional requirements from breastmilk alone and at age 24 months they can get 20% of their daily nutritional requirements from the breastmilk? Indeed, breastmilk has immunological benefits and cancer reducing properties (for mum and toddler) throughout the second year of life and beyond. Co-sleeping enables many mums to breastfeed their toddlers for as long as they are both happy with.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Hello, we have been co-sleeping with our 3-year old toddler. We are planning to transition him to his own bed real soon since we are planning to get pregnant. This forum is really helpful. I will look into the suggested readings. =)

I love hearing from families who co-sleep.
    This is an amazing thread!

Thanks for your comments bella and sunnymumof5.

I find research into (safe) co-sleeping and it's benefits so reassuring for our family. In particular, the Infant Sleep Information Source is very helpful and informative.

Best wishes to you both,
    LJ