Hybrid View

Weight lost after pregnancy

I weight 55kg before pregnancy and now at my heaviest at 85kg after giving birth. I can't workout/exercise because I'm nursing my bub. Any other suggestions how I will be able to get back in shape?

Dear jacelene,

Thank you for posting this question. I'm sorry to hear you are having difficulties obtaining a healthy weight.

Firstly, remember that it took 9 months for your body so change and bring your baby into this world. On average it takes 18 months for a woman's body to return to it's pre-pregnancy state. Be gentle with yourself and give yourself time.

There is no reason why breastfeeding should stop you exercising. In fact, it is best to have a healthy lifestyle. Have you tried wearing your baby in a good quality sling? A Mei-Tai is a great sling for the age of your baby. Wearing your baby in a sling can mean you can get out more and be active. You can also breastfeed whilst on the go.

There are now a number of exercise classes aimed at mums with new babies. For example, you can do a buggy based exercise class or mum and baby yoga. It's so important to be active.

Eating a healthy, balanced diet packed full of fresh fruit and vegetables is also important after you have given birth. Replace processed, sugary snacks with dried fruit and nuts and eat plenty of slow energy releasing foods (such as oats) which will keep you going when you are looking after a small baby.

Is there any medical reason why you think you can't exercise?

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Warm wishes,
    LJ