Thread: Dummy Dismissal

Dummy Dismissal

My 18mth old is quite attached to his dummy. After speaking with our family paediatrician, he should be nearing, or already rid, of hi dummy. I is going to cause a significant problem if I allow him to continue use until he is a bit older?

Hi,

Thank you for your question.

It is best if a child can stop using a dummy at around 12 months of age. However, many children use a dummy for comfort so this is a lot easier said then done. A lot of children do use a dummy throughout their second year of life without any significant problems.

What may be best is to start gradually and gently weaning your son off the dummy now. You can start with the daytime if he uses it for comfort in the night. Try to get him so involved with other activities in the day that he almost doesn't have time to think about using the dummy. Night time weaning can come gradually once the daytime is sorted. Some parents find it helpful to introduce another toy as a comforter to help them find comfort in something else.

The issue with continuing dummy use beyond 12 months of age is that it can interfere with speech and language development. It is also associated with increased ear infections, although not in every child. Has your son suffered from any ear infections? It can affect a child's teeth although this is thought to be a temporary issue as long as the dummy use is stopped by age 4.

What are your thoughts?

Warm wishes,
    LJ