Toddler refuses to eat vegetables!

My almost 3 year old toddler refuses to no end to not eat ANY kind of vegetables minus corn!! Corn is the only kind of vegetable I can get her to eat. Could someone please give any pointers on how I could get her to eat daily vegetables. I've thought about putting vegetables and fruits into a blender and making her drink them but then again I don't want her to get used to that texture or taste because in all reality I think it might just make matters worse! Please help!!!

Thank you

Hi RyleighsMum11,

Most of us mums have been there - we know what it's like so you are in good company

Does she enjoy eating fruit?

In this situation, I would recommend a double-pronged approach to helping your toddler eat vegetables. This involves both continuing to offer vegetables frequently (so that your daughter learns that vegetables are a normal, healthy part of snacks and meals) and also hiding them within meals (so that you are sure she is getting all the nutrients that she needs in her diet).

Many children enjoy a green smoothie . There is no harm in her enjoying the taste and texture of this alongside offering the other fruit and vegetables if you follow this double-pronged approach.

Other great ways to get them to eat vegetables without them knowing is in pasta sauces (roast vegetables and then liquidise with tomato sauce) and in lentil/ chickpea burgers etc

I do agree with you though that you want to keep offering her food which clearly looks like fruit and vegetables because ultimately you want your daughter to learn to make healthy choices that continue throughout childhood and adulthood.

Dr. Sears (the attachment parenting paediatrician) advocates trying a 'grazing plate' for toddlers. This can work well because toddlers are always on the move and they don't want to sit down for long periods of time at meal-times. You leave a plate of healthy snacks (including fresh fruit and vegetables e.g. carrot sticks and hummus, blueberries, strawberries, steamed broccoli etc) at an accessible place to your toddler (e.g. a low table they can reach on their own). Keep replenishing it through the day as they eat through it.

Vegetables which you can dip into a sauce are often popular with toddlers. So is creative food like vegetable pizza faces.

I do hope some of these suggestions help you. Please post back and let us know how you get on.
    Warm wishes,
    LJ

Hello LJ,

Wow! I never even thought of putting a dish on a low table for her to snack on throughout the day. SHe probably would be more apt to eat the fruits and veggies if she is able to still play and run over to the table and grab something. I really like that idea! Thanks so much

Gennesse

Hi Gennesse,

You are very welcome. Let me know how your daughter gets on.

Best wishes,
    LJ