I need expert advice on breastfeeding please!

I am pregnant with our first daughter and she's due to come out on the 4th of September. Before I got pregnant, I was underweight. I am 5'4 and used to weigh only 38 kilos, which was not normal for my height. After finding out I was pregnant, I gained a little bit of weight. My OB says that 2 kilos per month is quite normal for an expectant mom. One thing I am worried about is, I may not have enough milk to breastfeed my baby when she comes out. This may sound ridiculous but my boobs are small and I really wanna know if that will affect my breastfeeding capabilities. I really want to breastfeed my baby since a lot of people tell me that it is healthier for my child, plus it will develop a stronger bond between my daughter and I. I need your advice and opinion on what to do to prepare for breastfeeding. Thank you!!

Dear chloemontanez,

Your ability to breastfeed your baby is not related to the size of your breasts. That is a fact which I hope reassures you.

It is wonderful that you are already planning on breastfeeding your baby. Breastmilk is hugely beneficial to baby and mum and formula milk is vastly inferior in comparison. Yes the bond when you breastfeed is like no other and sets in place a strong attachment to last a lifetime.

It is important to breastfeed on demand in the day and night. Most newborn babies need breastfeeding every 2-3 hours because they only have small stomachs and breastmilk is delicate and gentle and broken down easily by a baby's stomach (unlike formula milk). Breastmilk works on a supply and demand basis. Your body will know how much breastmilk to produce by the amount of time your baby spends at the breast. Therefore, you should breastfeed your baby whenever they show any sign at all of wanting feeding. Please have a read of my comments in this previous post on breastfeeding in the early days.

The World Health Organisation recommend exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 months of life (i.e. giving your baby nothing but breastmilk, they don't even need water as breastmilk provides everything they need) and continuing to breastfeed alongside solid food from 6 months of age to 2 years and beyond.

I wonder if I could ask if there was a reason you were so underweight previously?

Breastfeeding often takes a good deal of perseverance and support in the early days. Find out about your local breastfeeding support groups now - most welcome pregnant women. Lactation consultants, midwives, health visitors and doctors can also help you. I would recommend that any mum just keeps asking for help in the early days until she feels confident. Ask, ask, ask! We are here to support new mums on this forum too of course

When you breastfeed it is really important you get a good latch (this is the way in which the baby is attached to the breast). This really is key to successful, comfortable breastfeeding. If you read the link above I have explained more about this here.

I hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to post back with any more breastfeeding questions you may have.

Warm wishes,
    LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 29th July 2014 at 06:50 AM.

Hello LJ, I wish you had heard my sigh of relief when I read your first sentence!

I am actually taking down notes on my Mummy Book while reading your response, I want to make sure everything is perfect when she comes out. And thanks for your link! I bookmarked it and will watch the videos after this.

I actually still do not know why I was underweight. I had no problems with my appetite, I even eat more than my friends do. I was not drinking nor taking medications. I did not take it as a big deal, I was satisfied with the explanation that I was slim because my father was slim too. Some say that it is probably because of my fast metabolism. Since I was not getting sick, I did not bother having myself looked at by a doctor. But now that I am nearing my due date, I just wish that I maintain my current weight (or maybe gain a few more kilos) and not go back to my old weight!

Your response is very helpful, I will make it a point to share this with breastfeeding friends! Thank you!

You are so welcome chloemontanez - it is a pleasure to support any soon-to-be mum with breastfeeding. I love the idea of the 'Mummy Book' and I just know you are going to be everything your baby girl needs.

Have you thought much about your hopes for the birth?

It's important to have skin-to-skin contact as soon as possible following the birth and to start breastfeeding as soon as possible too. Studies have shown that both of these factors make it more likely to have a successful breastfeeding journey.

With warm wishes,
    LJ