Can acupuncture help bring on labour?

I know that acupuncture can be used to help with certain pregnancy symptoms such as relieving pelvic pain. But can it help to induce labour naturally? A friend of mine swears that it is the acupuncture she had the day before she went into labour that did it. Is there any evidence for this or does anyone else have experience of acupuncture bringing on labour?

Acupuncture and acupressure can help bring labour on. I used acupuncture to start labour with my 4th baby. We stimulated a point near the ankle.

The way it happened for me was that I saw some bloody show in the morning when I wiped, and then I we started the acupressure. Contractions started, and then stopped. After lunch I decided to do more acupressure and contractions started again. To see if it was "real" labour, and not false labour, I decided to go for a walk. If contractions stopped during the walk, it would mean I probably wasn't in real labour.

But contractions continued during the walk, and I even had to stop walking during each one. Baby was born that night.

Acupuncture and acupressure can also be helpful during labour.

Warm regards,

Kate

Thanks for your reply Kate and glad acupuncture worked for you.

How is acupressure different - is that without needles?

Acupressure stimulates the same electrical points on the body as acupuncture does, except you're doing it with pressure instead of needles. There's probably more to it than that, but without doing further research this is a very basic understanding.