Potty training suggestions

My almost two year old daughter started showing signs of wanting to use the potty back in April. We bought her a potty and let her tell us when she wanted or needed to use it. Each time she would use the potty, we would give her a sticker as a reward. We were hoping the reward would encourage her to use it on a consistent basis. For about a month, she used the potty intermittently and then forgot about it for a few weeks. It's now been a month since she has been back on the potty again, but she is not very consistent. As I also have a six month old in nappies, I would really like to get my almost two year old potty trained rather quickly. How would you recommend I go about potty training my daughter so that she consistently uses the potty and not her nappy?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Dear teafor2,

Firstly, I would say that a toddler of almost 2 is very young to be potty trained. The average age for a child to be potty trained is actually 3. Most health visitors now recommend that you leave it until the later side to potty train your child. This is because if they are not fully developmentally ready then it can take months of accidents and this will be more difficult for everyone in the long run. It is easier and a more gentle approach to leave the nappies on until your child shows full signs of developmental readiness. My experience has been that when this time comes potty training almost happens overnight - the child just 'gets it' and rewards are not necessary and accidents rarely happen. There may be many months before this that the child is trying the toilet/ potty (certainly whenever they ask to use it) but you don't need to lose the nappy until they are fully ready.

For a great and inspiring read on this subject have a look at this article from Little Hearts Gentle Parenting: Three Simple Steps from Diaper to Potty .

For more information about developmental readiness for potty training the resources on Dr Sears' website are excellent (he is an attachment parenting paediatrician): Toilet Training Tips.

I hope you find some of this helpful.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thanks, LJ for your response and the links.