Recommend your carrier

My daughter has recently become much more attached to me and will start crying whenever I put her down. I feel that, if I want to get anything done around the house, I am going to have to wear her. What carriers are your favorite that you would recommend?

Dear teafor2,

Babywearing is a wonderful way to bond with your baby and to help them to feel settled and confident. If you are breastfeeding, then you can also breastfeed on the go with a baby carrier. It is certainly an excellent way to have your hands free for other jobs whilst keeping your baby close to you.

I just wanted to give you some reassurance that, at this age, it is normal for your baby to want to be near you all the time. I agree that it is best, and certainly the gentle way, to work with this and accommodate your baby's needs rather than trying them to be more independent from you than they are ready for.

Many babywearers (and babywearing consultants) would say that it is best not to start using a stretchy sling (like a Moby or Karime) at 6 months of age. Whilst your baby's age is still within the safe wearing limits for this type of sling their weight in the stretchy material will mean they sit/hang lower as you wear them longer. This would not be the most comfortable type of sling for you.

You could try a Mei Tai - this is my personal favourite for a 6 month old. You can wear them front or back and it's easy to use and you still have a good deal of control over the adjustments.

A woven wrap is another option. This does take some dedication/ teaching to master but once you have got it perhaps it is the most adaptable of all slings.

Then you have full buckle options like the Manduca or baby Tula. These are very easy to use but you have less control over the straps compared to a Mei Tai. I personally prefer a full buckle for a toddler whereas I find a Mei Tai keeps the baby more snug.

Of course there are many other options (like half buckles, reverse half buckles, wrap conversions....the list goes on!) but these are the main contenders.

I would totally recommend babywearing - I couldn't do without it!

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thanks again, LJ!

You are most welcome.

LJ

Hey my baby was also cry when I put her down so I decided to get a baby carrier which will be comfortable for both of us.

Yes baby carriers really help with settling a baby JGonzales. I'm not sure how old your baby is? Have you heard of the 'fourth trimester'? This is the thinking that a baby needs to be close to their mum day and night in the three months following birth as they are transitioning to living outside the womb. Interesting stuff.

Warm wishes,
    LJ