Loss of appetite

Hi, I've just found out I'm 6 weeks pregnant and super excited and happy and nervous about it. We've been trying for a very long time to even get to this stage. My concern at the moment is that I've lost my appetite. I don't every feel hungry or like eating. When I do eat I get full much faster then previous. I am still making myself eat 3 healthy meals and fruit in between but I do it cause I should not because I'm hungry. Is not having as appetite normal?

Hi wanting2bamummy,

Congratulations on your pregnancy! What wonderful news.

Yes many women do experience a loss of appetite in the first trimester. For some women it is the first sign that they are pregnant.

Are you suffering from morning sickness at all? What is your weight like at the moment?

Don't worry if you eat less for a while in the first trimester - it is most likely that you will feel more like eating again soon. If you are still concerned then do talk to your midwife or doctor about this.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thanks for your reply LJ, oh and sorry I posted it twice I couldn't see it the first time and thought it didn't actually process.

I am over weight so I'm not concerned about loosing weight I'd just never heard anyone say they had lost their appetite and from anything I've read nothing talks about it. Of course I'm not trying to loose weight now I'm pregnant but just maintain. I have recently lost 30kgs but since finding out I'm pregnant I won't worry about loosing more for the next nine months or so.

Yes I am finding I have "all day neausea" rather then morning sickness, infact in the morning is when I feel best, it's the afternoon that's worse for me. I went to the chemist yesterday and bought a blackmores morning sickness tablet to see if that helps. I spoke at length with the chemist before I bought it.

Again thanks
    Amy.

Hi Amy,

No worries about posting it twice Yes do be reassured that it is normal to have a loss of appetite in the first trimester.

Do you know what your BMI (Body Mass Index) is? You can use this online BMI calculator if not.

In terms of how much weight you should gain during pregnancy:

- if your pre-pregnancy BMI was normal you should gain 25-35 pounds
    - if your pre-pregnancy BMI showed you were underweight you should gain 38-40 pounds
    - if your pre-pregnancy BMI showed you were overweight you should gain 15-25 pounds
    - if your pre-pregnancy BMI showed you were obese you should gain 11-20 pounds

In other words, everyone should gain some weight in pregnancy (not just maintain your weight). I hope this information helps you.

Have you tried any natural remedies to help with your morning sickness? Many women find that eating little and often helps. Ginger products are also helpful. Acupressure (or travel sickness) bands can also be effective. If you are craving any particular types of food you may find that eating these frequently also helps.

I hope your morning sickness goes as you become closer to the second trimester.

Congratulations again!
    Warm wishes,
    LJ

We went to see the doctor just to get things going. Also I was hoping for an early scan, after talking to the doctor she agreed that a scan was a good idea. Based on that Ive been having cramps and that I was going away for a few weeks.

At the ultrasound the sonographer explained that I've either got an ectopic pregnancy but not in my tubes but below my uterus or it's eccentrically placed and my uterus is eccentric. I had more bloods taken on that day also.

After going back to the doctor she told me the ultrasound shows that it's more like I'm only 4 weeks not 6 weeks but my blood levels are great. They had doubled as they should in 2 days.

I'm travelling and she also said that we need to stay near medical help for the next week. So we extended our stay and now have a nervous wait.

I've still been having cramps but all other symptoms are normal.

I'm worried, excited, happy, scared and extremely hopeful all at the same time.

Hi wanting2bamummy,

Thank you for your reply.

I am sending you my thoughts and prayers and hope that you get good news soon. When are you going back to the doctor?

If there is a chance you could be having an ectopic pregnancy then you are very wise to stay near medical treatment as this can result in a medical emergency unfortunately - a doctor needs to confirm for sure if you are or are not having an ectopic pregnancy before you travel away from medical help.

Thinking of you and stay in touch,
    LJ

I give blood twice this week to keep check on the levels and get a scan on Thursday and visit a doctor Friday. We will know lots more then.

I am very pleased to hear that. Your blood test will check that your hcG levels (human chorionic gonadotropin levels - this is the hormone which occurs in pregnancy) are rising normally.

Thinking of you and hoping for the very best news,
    LJ