Thread: Using Utensils

Using Utensils

What are the best practices to teach my Bub how to properly feed himself by using utensils? I initially planned to have my Bub follow the Baby Led Weaning method but husband refused to, because of risks of choking, etc.

Now that my son is a little older, how can I encourage him to use the utensils and eventually, eat on his own?

Dear aicapen,

That's a shame about the baby led weaning. In the research it shows that the risk of choking is actually less with baby led weaning compared to giving your baby purees which may be different consistencies.

Yes you can start giving your son some finger food too and giving him some children's utensils to eat them with. He will gradually use them more and more. It's also good if he can eat his meals with other members of the family so he learns to mimic their eating habits and that meal-times are an important family time.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thanks! However, every time I give him a banana, for example, he continuously puts everything in his mouth. So I also get worried. When letting him give a spoon, does it have to messy at first? I don't want to see any food going to waste .

You are welcome.

I'm not sure what you mean 'he puts everything in his mouth' when he has a banana? It is totally normal for a child this age to use eating time to explore and learn about food and manipulation when they are eating. Learning through play (and food counts as this!) is key. Squishing a banana, smearing it on a highchair and their face, trying the banana skin....are all ways in which a baby is learning about texture, taste and even physics. Messy play and messy eating often goes hand-in-hand with fun play and the best sort of learning situation.

Some food will go to waste when your baby is learning to feed themselves. If you limit this you will unfortunately be limiting how fast they develop with this milestone.

I know it can be contrary to how we live before we have kids but embracing the mess is important. You may be interested in this recent post about learning through play.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thank you so much!

I hope this all helps you and your son to have lots of fun with eating.

Have a look at this baby led weaning recipe page - maybe your husband will be happier with it now your son is older?

Warm wishes,
    LJ