Hearing Problem?

Is it selective hearing or do I need my son to take a hearing test? I have been observing my son from 8 months up to now. I tried to call him by his name many times but he is not looking or responding. I read colourful books to him and he can point some animals correctly. He calls mummy and daddy. He laughs when I make funny faces. He knows some words like birds, ball and many more but never answer when he hears his name. Do you think he has hearing problem?

Hi,

I am a qualified Audiologist as well as being passionate about gentle parenting so I will do my best to answer your question.

Here is the hearing developmental checklist. If you look under the '7 months to 1 year' age category then you can compare your son's hearing responses.

Babies and children often won't respond to other sounds/ voices if they are engaged in another activity which is interesting them. This is normal developmentally and doesn't mean that they have a hearing problem.

Did your son have a newborn hearing screening test at birth? This depends on where you live.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thank you for the checklist. I have only one unchecked which is mixing 2 words. I think with this guideline i'm feeling better now.

That is excellent news eirielle. Remember this checklist is for babies up to 12 months of age and your son is only 8 months - it is normal that a baby has one or two words by 12 months of age but you would not expect this at 8 months old.

If you do have any concerns in the future then don't hesitate to talk to your doctor.

Warm wishes,
    LJ