Formula milk at 4 years of age

My daughter still takes Promil pre-school at the age of 4. I don't really want to wean her but if she does then it would really be great. You know formula milk still costs a lot. To think that I am 6 mos pregnant to my second baby. I don't want to spend 2 milks for both of them when I give birth. Do you have any advice specially that it's hard to feed my daughter. All she eats is Mc Donalds. :c

Hi,

Thank you for your question.

There's no reason for your child not to drink normal cows milk at this age. Calcium is still an important part of a pre-schooler's diet but formula milk is not necessary.

Have you thought about breastfeeding your next baby? Apart from the advantage that it is free it has huge health, social and developmental advantages over formula milk.

I would try giving your 4 year old a 'grazing plate' full of healthy snacks to eat throughout the day - keep topping it up and don't worry to much about how much she eats at designated meal-times. Sometimes 4 year olds are just too busy and active to sit still and eat for long! This idea comes from the Attachment Parenting paediatrician Dr. Sears and you can read more of his tips for feeding a picky eater here.

Many mums on this forum also find smoothies a great way to ensure their children are getting fresh fruit and vegetables.

Another tip is to go for the 'double vegetable approach'! Both present your daughter with vegetables to eat at snack and meal-times (steamed broccoli, apple pieces, carrot sticks etc) and hide them within recipes (e.g. courgette flan, roast vegetable sauce mixed into pasta). This method will help your daughter to make healthy choices (from the vegetables she can see) and ensure she gets all the nutrients she needs (from the vegetables she can't see).

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thanks ljmarsden! Let me go ahead and try that.

Yes do let us know how you get on. Also, we are here to support you with breastfeeding your new baby if you would like that.

LJ

I would love to get all the support you could offer here! In my first pregnancy I only breastfed for two months because I had to go back to work and maybe I just didn't have that much milk. I took natalac to help me lactate but it just ran out...

Thanks for your reply.

It's actually extremely rare to not produce enough breastmilk for your baby to be exclusively breastfed for the first 6 months of life. However, what is really important is that your baby is breastfed on demand. Breastmilk works on a supply and demand basis - you need to put your baby to the breast often enough (in the day and night) in order for your body to know how much breastmilk to make for your baby.

For newborn babies this is typically feeding every 2-3 hours in the day and night. If you are expressing (pumping) milk instead/ for some of the feeds then you need to simulate the frequency of your baby's feeds. Also remember that no breastpump is as efficient at extracting breastmilk from your body as your baby.

The other key to a successful breastfeeding journey is having a good latch (which enables your baby to efficiently and comfortably drink breastmilk from your breasts). In this previous post I have written in detail about how to know when you have a good latch.

Well done on breastfeeding your first child for 2 months - this is a fantastic start to life. Your employer (if you are planning on going back to work again) should legally support you to express your breastmilk and continue with your breastfeeding relationship.

With our support,
    LJ

thank you ljmarsden! always always so informative

You are most welcome - please do post back with any further questions you may have