How to find the perfect doula for you?

Hello!
    I wanna know if you can share the best tips to find a doula. What should I be looking for?
    I still not pregnant, but I want to have one before my pregnancy starts.
    Also, my mother died when I was 14, so I don't have any supporting woman close enough to me for that moment.

Thank you!

Hi alemora,

That's a great question.

I'm so sorry your mother died when you were just a teenager. My heart goes out to you.

I think having a doula is so helpful in pregnancy, labour and after birth. A doula gives you extra support and reassurance. Your doula can be your advocate when/ if you are unable to speak for yourself. Studies show that having a doula at your birth helps to reduce the likelihood of medical interventions and makes it more likely a women will have a positive birth experience.

I would say that first and foremost a doula needs to be someone you get on with and feel comfortable around; someone you 'click with'. You should feel they will support you whatever your birth wishes are and not bring their own agenda to your birth. They should be reliable and supportive. You may want to ask them how many births they have attended and also check how long it takes them to get to your house/ the hospital.

Most doulas offer a free meeting where you can decide if they are right for you. You may want to meet a few to decide what you think. In my experience when you meet the right doula for you then you will just know :-)

Warm wishes,
    LJ