Hybrid View

Gaining Weight during oregnancy.

The how much weight that a pregnant mother has to gain during pregnancy is an issue many of us don,t address. Personally i gained 10 Kgs extra for the entire pregnancy period, and shed it all 2 weeks after birth.

What is the recommended weight extra weight one should gain? Does gaining too much during pregnancy become a risk to your health?

I believe that the recommended amount of weight to gain in pregnancy is around 10-14kgs for singleton pregnancies. I was pregnant with twins and gained 18kgs which I was told was just fine. There are issues that can arise from gaining too much weight such as Gestational diabetes or pre-eclampsia

Administrator

Expected Weight Gain in Pregnancy

The ideal weight gain in pregnancy varies depending on a woman's pre-pregnant weight. To work out your weight range you can use an online body mass index (BMI) calculator. It is important to use your pre-pregnant weight to work out your weight range. Once you've worked out your weight range you can use the following is a guide for expected weight gain in pregnancy:

Weight Range
    Expected Weight Gain in pregnancy
    Underweight 12.5–18 kilograms
    Healthy weight 11.5–16 kilograms
    Overweight 7–11.5 kilograms
    Obese 6 kilograms or less

As a midwife I never weigh women in pregnancy. Instead I work with a woman to review her diet and then work to improve her diet if necessary. The focus is on healthy eating not expected weight gain.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content