Question How to conceive twins?

With my next pregnancy, I am thinking how wonderful it would be to conceive twins. But how? I know one factor depends on your genes/ heredity. But what are other important factors to consider in order to conceive twins? Especially a boy and a girl?

Hi momikatie,

This is a question that I've seen numerous times which means you're not the only one who would like to influence the ability to conceive twins.

Things that increase the likelihood of having twins are most often linked to genetics, as you mentioned. If there are twins in mom's blood line (Grandma, Auntie or Mom had twins) then the likelihood of you releasing more than one egg at one time, and conceiving twins goes up.

The other thing that increases the likelihood of twins is maternal age. As a woman gets older, her chances of conceiving goes up slightly.

Otherwise you would need to consider taking a medication such as Clomiphene (Clomid) which stimulates the ovaries to release an egg. The doctors will actually warn mothers that they may release more than one egg at a time, which could result in multiple pregnancies. Though having 2 or 3 babies may be desirable, you could end up conceiving more than that, which then puts you at higher risk of problems during pregnancy.

Another risk associated with taking an ovarian stimulating drug is something called ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS). This is when the medication stimulates the ovaries too much and the ovaries become very swollen with fluid. This can cause mild to severe complications (can even be life threatening). Here's a good article that explains more about Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome.

As for whether you can "sway" your chances of having a boy or a girl, this is very possible, and, in fact, I did this with my first child. My husband wanted a girl, so I learned all about how to sway the gender towards a girl, and we conceived a girl.

Please ask your question about "gender swaying" in a new thread and I'll be happy to give more tips, if you're interested in learning more about this, even if you can't do much to increase your chance of having twins.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi Kate,

Thanks for all the information. Yes taking Clomid is very risky for me and of course for the baby if the pregnancy pushes through. And I don't want to experience ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome because I believe it would be very painful. Thanks for the insight.

I was on a low dose of clomid when I conceived my twins. I wasn't on clomid to intentially have twins, just to get pregnant because I was having trouble conceiving. In fact, I was told we had a 2% chance (or something like that) of conceiving multiples.

Is it true that if your into hormonal pills this can give you possibility of having twins in the future when your ready to get pregnant?

Irregular2periods,

If you're taking hormonal pills that induce ovulation, then see my response above about how that would increase the possibility of having twins, but also, some of the risks that come along with taking that kind of medication.

Warm regards,

Kate

Can conceiving twins be strongly influenced by the paternal side? My partners Grandaddy was a twin and it skipped his fathers generation and he himself has a younger brother. I'd love to have twins but it's skipped him and his dad........

No. It is influenced by the maternial side and twins are a result of hyperovulation, where two eggs are released. So twins aren't hereditary - but hyperovulation can be. I go into more detail on the subject here
    I also list out some other factors that can influence one's chances of conceiving twins. However, there is always a chance that you could conceive twins. It can happen regardless of genentics

Twins are wonderful!!! Good Luck

I just received this question and thought I would post it here and offer my response so that everyone can benefit.

I just recently suffered a miscarriage and now i feel like i really want twins because of the miscarriage. I just want to know what options I have that would help me try to conceive twins. I'm going to try and start taking prenatal vitamins that have folic acid in them and I hope it will increase my chances.
    Wanting to conceive twins is something I've heard many women talk about. I even thought I might want twins at one time so that I could have two babies while only having to go through the pregnancy and labour once (I had a lot of morning sickness with all of my pregnancies).

However, I also knew that pretty much the only things that increase the odds of having multiples is if the mum has multiples on her side or if the mum is of later maternal age (the odds increase as you get older).

It is very important for any woman who is thinking of getting pregnant to be taking a high quality prenatal vitamin with folic acid and you can start this 6 months before conception. Of course if you're already trying to conceive you will want to start it right away. And be sure you're following a fertility diet and getting really good preconception care.

Warm regards,

Kate