Thread: Pre-eclampsia

Pre-eclampsia

Hi everyone! I am new here so nice meeting you all!
    This question has been bothering me and the fear persist not for me but for my daughter.
    Is eclampsia ( whether pre or post one ) hereditary?

I had the situation during my second pregnancy which resulted for my son to be delivered by caesarian section with only 32 weeks of gestation age! I had a difficult time during that pre-eclamptic stage and I have nose bleeding which prompted my obstetrician to perform a caesarian section.
    My son I already 15 years old but the scare lingers on and I do not have the courage to ask the doctor for may daughter sake. I hope I could find some assurance here. Thank you and again nice meeting you all!

Hello,

I did not experience pre-eclampsia but I thought I'd do some quick research for you to find out whether or not it was hereditary and from everything I have read it can be. Here is some info I found on www.medicineworld.org

"Hypertension is one of the common problems in pregnancy and it causes morbidity and mortality to both mother and the child. Pre-eclampsia is a condition that is caused by pregnancy. Pre-eclampsia usually comes after 20th week of pregnancy and is associated with hypertension (140/90 mm Hg or more), edema (swelling of the body due to retention of fluid) and /or proteinuria (protein present in the urine).Pre-eclampsia occurs in 5-8% of all the pregnancies."

It goes on to list some of the risk factors as:

•Elderly or young primigravidae(first time mothers)
    •Family history of pre-eclampsia
    •Poor and under-privileged sector
    •Pregnancy complications like hydatidiform mole, multiple pregnancy
    •Medical disorders like hypertension, kidney disease, diabetes
    •Hereditary

Just because you had it doesn't mean she'll automatically get it but it is good for her to be aware and to tell her midwife or doctor about your history, so they can watch for warning signs and monitor her.

Something that I found to be interesting is that women who are at risk of developing Pre-eclampsia should not take high doeses of Vitamins C & E. It was in this pres release featured on PBB Pre-Eclampsia and Vitamins.

It appears that there are somethings that can be done to help prevent Pre-Eclampsia but I think that should be discussed with your daughters healthcare provider when the time comes.

All the best and it is so nice having you here!
    Christie

Administrator
    There is also some research that shows that maybe taking things like magnesium, calcium and omega 3 supplements prior to pregnancy and in early pregnancy may also help avoid developing pre-eclampsia.

FYI - there is a slightly increased risk of a women developing pre-eclampsia if her mother had experienced pre-eclampsia.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content