Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Hi aussie,

Thank you for your advice well hehe i love too sleep more than just a nap 1 to 5hrs is it bad?and oh my i love to eat sweets....huhuhuhu should i really avoid it?
    Last edited by raish; 12th March 2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: additional question

Administrator
    Hi Raish - While having a nap 1- 2 hours is okay, any longer you are probably not getting enough exercise. Try to limit the length of your naps.

My kids call sweets a "sometimes food" - that is a treat to have every now and then. Having lots of sweets is empty calories, causes your blood sugar to rise a lot and your pancreas to work very hard. High blood sugar levels cross the placenta and can make a baby grow unhealthily large. So avoiding eating sweets regularly is a healthy choice.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Hi, i do have another question. When do i take the miscarriage dates from? When i started the painful cramps and bleeding, to the day it passed naturally. So i started cramping on the 17th feb, went to the doc to confirm it as a m/c. And passed naturally on the 20th?. I only ask, as i am curious because we started trying again straight away. And im unsure as to when i could try a pregnancy test? Or when to possibly expect my new cycle?

Hi Nen,

The best way to know when to take a pregnancy test is to go by your date of ovulation, and if you didn't use an ovulation predictor test, then another way to tell is by watching your fertile signs. When you know how to read your the fertile signs your body is giving you, you can achieve pregnancy much easier.

I wrote some helpful information about this in another thread entitled "How To Conceive If You Have Irregular Periods" and I'd encourage you to read through that thread (having a miscarriage can change hormone levels so it may take some time for your hormones to come back into range so that you can conceive again).

Depending upon how far along you were when you had the miscarriage, it can often take awhile for hCG (the pregnancy hormone) levels to come back down so that ovulation occurs again.

So here's what I'd suggest. If it's been a week since you last made love, go ahead and test. If it's negative, then test again in another week.

While you're doing this, be sure to watch your body for signs of fertility. If you see signs of fertility, then use some ovulation prediction tests and try to time your baby making efforts accordingly. If you do not see signs of fertility, then take a pregnancy tests again, a week later. Once you've got 2-3 weeks of negative tests, and you haven't seen any signs of fertility during that time, then you can assume that you're not pregnant, and continue looking for the changes in your cervical mucus which will tell you you're going into your fertile window.

And if you were more than 6 weeks along when you miscarried, I'd ask your doctor if he would be willing to do a quantitative hCG test to see how much hCG is still present in your blood. I had a friend who had a miscarriage at 10 weeks, and it took months for her hCG levels to come down to a point where she was able to ovulate again.

Please read the thread I mentioned above and feel free to post any further questions.

Warm regards,

Kate
    Last edited by 5Homebirths4Kate; 30th March 2012 at 02:21 AM.

HI,aussie

I would like to ask you again, I already have a work now online job but my working time is on night shift 6hours day can you give me an advice for my baby some vitamins name and food should i eat for my baby because i know its not good that i should not sleep at nigt but during the day time i sleep but sometimes i'm having a hard time to sleep during the the day what should i do?

How To Go To Sleep And Get Good Quality Sleep

Hi Raish,

If you need to sleep during the day (because you're working at night) be sure your room is dark. No light at all. If you need to cover your eyes with a sleep mask or something else, do it. If you need to cover the windows with "black-out shades" do it. Sleeping in the dark is very important, especially if you have to sleep during the day.

You can also take Melatonin to help with sleep. Dr. Mercola has some really good recommendations on how to get good sleep. You want to be sure that when you put your hand up in front of your face in your dark room, that you can't see your fingers.

What to eat during pregnancy

Hi Raish,

I'll try to address your question about what you should be eating during your pregnancy.

Jane has a page on her site called Safe Eating and Drinking Before and During Pregnancy. This should give you some guidelines on what you should and should not be eating during your pregnancy.

As for what nutrients/vitamins you should be taking, you should definitely be taking a high quality prenatal supplement (your doctor or midwife should already be encouraging you to take this), and I'd also recommend taking some Essential Fatty Acids like Flax Oil. Fish can provide the Essential Fatty Acids your body needs and some other important nutrients but you'll just want to be sure that you're eating the right kinds of fish in the right amount. Take a look at this article entitled Eating Fish During Pregnancy for more information.

Lastly, eating enough deep leafy greens is really important, but sometimes hard to do. Taking a supplement like an Organic Barley Grass powder can be very helpful as well.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi Aussie Midwife,
    I have a few questions.....or maybe I am just requiring some reassurance.
    I am overjoyed to be around 5 weeks pregnant! Yay for me :0) However I fell pregnant last year by complete surprise and as Im polycycstic the Dr reccommended a 6 week scan, all was good until my 12 week scan and we found out bubs had stopped developing past around 8 weeks and we lost the heart beat. Although unplanned I think this was the most devastating thing me and my partner had ever experienced. I had a D&C in November and allowed my body time to restore itself and starting taking pregnancy vitamins over the last month or so and much to our amazement I found out I was pregnant last week. The Dr has again allowed me to have a 6 week scan but this is the end of next week. So after all that my question to you is - should I be worried I dont have any real first trimester symptoms after my last experience being not so long ago? Last pregnancy I never threw up and I feel even less queezey this time round. Smells aren't as overbearing as they were last pregnancy and the only real 'pregnant' thing to speak of is my boobs are a little swollen and my belly's slightly tender but not a great deal so and I become intensely hungry out of nowhere and want to eat anything in sight! Im not sure if Im remembering the later symptoms from last years pregnancy and should remind myself every pregnancy and every person is different so not worry about it, or if I should prepare myself for various possibilities with next weeks scan. I know it sounds silly but I'd really prefer morning sikness so I knew everything is alright...... What are your thoughts? Thanks :0)

Administrator
    Hi Shelby - Congratulations on your pregnancy. Pregnancy symptoms can vary from pregnancy to pregnancy quite dramatically and it doesn't mean that anything is wrong. Some women have horrible morning sickness with one pregnancy and none with another. For the moment just concentrate on eating healthy foods and getting plenty of rest. Let us know how you go with your ultrasound next week.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

*Sigh* Thank you so much for your response. At 32 Ive seen all my closest friends go through numerous pregnancies and I was a little concerned as they have all had morning sickness. I guess I must have a strong consitution or bub's is being very gentle with their first time Mama :0)
    This sight is brilliant and it's fantastic having a midwife to ask questions to especially for us first timers.
    Thank you so very much.

HI Shelby,

Welcome to the forums! Jane's response to your concern is right on. Do let us know how things go with the ultrasound next week.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi there! I am now 22 weeks pregnant, my OB and actually most of friends are telling me that I should feel that the baby is moving. I'm just quite confused if what I'm feeling right now under my belly is movement because I can just feel it's hearbeat. Any advise?

Hi bhebs23,

It sounds like things are moving right along for you - you're over half way there now!

Sometimes it's really hard to distinguish baby's movement, especially with the first pregnancy. For me, it felt like a little "fluttery" feeling in my belly. Your baby is about 450grams now, and 28cm long. My guess is you're going to start feeling that baby move anytime now, and when you hit 30 weeks, you'll be feeling him/her move all the time.

As long as the doctor is not concerned and you keep hearing that heartbeat at every visit, then this should put your mind at ease.

I'm guessing that the "heartbeat" you're feeling under your belly may be your own heartbeat. This is because we have arteries in our pelvic area. The next time you feel that heart beat, put a finger or two on the artery in your neck and see if it matches. Your baby's heartbeat will be much, much faster than your own.

Post back if you have any other questions, and especially when you start to feel movement. I'd like to know when that is.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Thanks Kate.. it's really a nice feeling when someone explains to you things that you're quite unclear. So as long as the OB is not concerned, I shouldn't be concerned as well. and yes, I always hear the heartbeat of my baby everytime i'm with my OB for check up. Thanks again kate!

You're very welcome :-) I'll have Midwife Jane give your question a quick peek too in case she has any other thoughts to share.

Warm Regards,

Kate