Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Administrator
    I agree with Kate - the first movements of the baby can be hard to distinguish. The movements will become clearer as the baby gets bigger. You wont be able to feel the baby's heart beat only movement which can be fluttery as Kate described.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Second Labour

Hello,

I have just found out that I am pregnant with my second child and I am wondering how likely it is that I will go overdue with the second baby if the first was overdue? I have read many forums on this topic, but all replies I've seen to date are from mums posting their own experiences. As interesting as that can be, I'd love to hear from a health professional about what the research actually says on this one.

With baby #1, I was 2 weeks overdue (despite 2 x membrane sweeps and 2 x foley catheter insertions). Eventually my waters were broken by my doctor and I was induced by IV drip. I had a very long 2nd stage (>6 hours), and the baby was finally delivered by forceps, after 2 failed attempts with the vacuum. I had a 3rd degree tear plus a large episiotomy. I'm quite afraid of being overdue again, because to me this equates to all of those terrible and unnatural procedures being done. Am I right to be nervous about all of this? Is there anything I can do to help things along this time around? Is a cesarian something to consider?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi Lee,

I'm sorry to hear about your birth experience with your first baby. However, you're absolutely in the right place if you want to make choices this time around that will give you the best possible chance of avoiding all of the interventions you had last time, and having a natural, easier delivery this time around.

I'm going to ask Jane to answer your question and give you some good suggestions on how to choose the best provider for this pregnancy and birth.

Warm regards,

Kate

Administrator
    Hi Lee - Welcome to the forum. I am so sorry your last experience was awful. With lots of information and support you can have a lot more positive experience this time around. Choose your caregiver carefully. If possible seek the services of a midwife who can provide continous support during your pregnancy and labour. There is a tendency if you go overdue with a baby that you can go overdue again. However there are lots of strategies to help prepare your body and encourage labour sooner naturally. The most successful technique is acupuncture. I would suggest seeking the services of someone who is experienced with pregnancy. Membrane sweeps started from 38 weeks can also help avoid a really postdates pregnancy. A good midwife or doctor can guide and support you.

It is very unlikely that your labour will be so lengthy this time around. For many women giving birth the second time is much fast (though not always). Can i also suggest reading widely. Some of my favourite books are:
    Hidden Content

Hi,

I just got discharged from the hospital yesterday. I was confined for two day because of acute gastroentiritis. It was seen in my fecalysis that I had amoebaiasis. I am quite scared even though I no longer have lose bowel movement and my doctor told me that the baby is ok. I have two concerns actually. first is, was my baby affected by the amoeba virus and second, is my baby affected with the medicine that I took, metronidazole. Advises please.. thanks in advance.

Hi bhebs23,

I saw your question and have asked Jane to answer. You should receive a reply in the next day or two, depending upon how many births Jane is attending at the moment.

If your doctor prescribed the medication, knowing you were pregnant, he probably felt the benefits outweighed any risks. We will look for Jane's response shortly.

Warm regards,

Kate

Administrator
    Hi bhebs23 - I am sorry you became unwell after giving birth. Metronidazole has been quite extensively in used breastfeeding women. The advise given is generally
    "Metronidazole is considered safe in doses up to 400mg three times a day, although it may give the milk a bitter taste. With a single high dose of metronidazole, milk should be expressed and discarded for 24 hours after the dose. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist for further advice."

With any medication you need to weigh up the benefits and risks of taking the medication vs not taking it - in this case passing the infection on to your baby. Breastfeeding provides the best protective measure for your baby in protecting them against gastroenteritis. If you are considered non infectious now and your baby hasn't become unwell you should be pass time when your baby is at risk. However if you notice your baby becoming unwell or developing diarrhoea contact your midwife or doctor straight away.
    Hidden Content

hi there,
    I haven't gave birth yet, I am only 23 weeks pregnant. Though the information you provided is really helpful especially at the time that I am already breastfeeding. I actually asked my OB if Metronidazole is really safe when your pregnant and she said that there were no studies that it is harmful, so to protect me and my baby inside from amoeba virus, she let me take it.

Administrator
    Sorry bhebs23 I misread your post and assumed you had given birth. Your obstetrician is correct there isn't any evidence that Metronidazole causes abnormalities in pregnancy that they are aware of. The research however into safety is lacking. Metronidazole is a category B2 drug in pregnancy which means:
    Category B2
    Drugs that have been taken by only a limited number of pregnant women and women of child-bearing age, without an increase in the frequency of malformation or other direct or indirect harmful effects on the human fetus having been observed. Studies in animals are inadequate or may be lacking, but available data show no evidence of an increased occurrence of fetal damage.
    Hidden Content

Hi

I need some help i was supposed to start my cycle on the 19th of this month and as of yet i'm still waiting on it, I've done a pregnancy test which came out negative. Is it possible to get a false negative on a home pregnancy test?

Thank you
    Bridgette

Administrator
    Hi Bridge85 - yes it is possible to get a false negative on a home pregnancy test. Home pregnancy tests vary in their ability to pick up the pregnancy hormones. So if your first test is negative and you still haven't had your period - retest in 5-7 days. Alternatively you can see a midwife or doctor and they can do a more sensitive test
    Hidden Content

I am close to my due date and I am wondering about my water breaking. I have heard that it can either come out as a "trickle" or a "burst". Lately I have been experiencing a very watery discharge and I am unsure if it is my water or just a normal pregnancy symptom. My friends tell me I will "just know" if it is my water-but I am kind of worried about whether or not I will know. Also, is it possible that I won't know when my water breaks? And will this hurt my baby?

Hi Tenley,

With my 2nd child, I thought that my water may have broken as I had this "trickle" of fluid down my leg in the last few weeks of pregnancy. The midwife checked me and said that my water had not broken. She also took a piece of litmus paper and tested the fluid which showed that it was not amniotic fluid (I'm thinking amniotic fluid is on the alkaline side, so the litmus paper would turn a dark green to dark blue if you placed the paper on the liquid.

You can ask your chemist or pharmacist if they have litmus paper and you only need a little bit. Alternatively, your midwife might have some or your doctor. For me, it was just a change in hormones which caused the profuse discharge that would actually run down my leg, and in all 5 of my pregnancies, my water didn't break until I was well into active labour, and then it was a gush.

You definitely want to rule out that your bag is actually leaking as a leaking bag can present a possible problem in that you are more prone to infection. If you actually have a leaking bag, you won't want to have sex and you won't want to take baths. Your midwife or doctor will probably have you take your temperature throughout the day and will watch you very closely. With your due date being July 11, my gut feel would be that the watery discharge you are seeing is just that - a watery discharge, and not your amniotic fluid. But better to be safe on this one and definitely try the litmus paper test and talk with your practitioner.

I will ask our resident midwife, Jane, to take a look at your question and offer her insight.

Warm regards,

Kate

Administrator
    Hi Ellesmommy - Talk to your midwife or doctor about your watery discharge. Sometimes if there is a small hole in the membrane the loss can be very small. But also it is common to have an increase in normal mucous discharge as you approach full term (and this can be water like). The difficulty is working out if a watery discharge is a normal part of pregnancy or if your waters broken. Your midwife or doctor may check to see if there is any leaking using a speculum or they may order an ultrasound to check the amount of fluid around the baby.
    Hidden Content

I'd also encourage you to make sure you are drinking plenty of pure water just in case there is a small leak, because the body will try to replenish any fluid that is being lost and it pulls from your water stores to do this.

Please let us know if you're found any of this helpful and if you have any other questions or concerns.

Warm regards,

Kate