Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Hi Gwyneth,

Just checking in with you - have you managed to see your doctor yet?

Thinking of you,
    LJ

Hi thank you for answers that you provide to all of us! I want to ask you can nausea come and go and all to be normal. I'm almost 9 weeks. Had nausea for week and a half, but last 3 days I'm seem to be much better. Is it OK?

Hi via23,

Morning sickness may occur or it may come and go or even not be there at all - all can happen with normal pregnancies. Do not be concerned. For most women who suffer from morning sickness in pregnancy, it resolves towards the end of the first trimester.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Is anyone online now?

Yes I am kgalg. But if you leave your message here anyway someone can respond either now or later.

Thank you.

Please post your questions here for the midwife so that others can benefit too

Will do. So super emotional morning for me. After being three days late on my period (I have a VERY regular 28 day cycle). I woke up this morning and when I stood up I started gushing blood with intense cramps and emotions (NOT NORMAL, I have heavy periods and strong cramps but this was really intense and I'm normally not super emotional like this during my period, sometimes I have a bit of emotions but I feel like bawling uncontrollably right now... needles to say I feel WAY off). My nutritionist last month had me taking a low dose of licorice root the first fourteen days of my cycle and wild yam for the latter part of my cycle. It's something she does and many of her other clients do. But, I'm freaked out. I'm afraid it did something to my body. I'm suddenly having issues trusting her after very good examples of her work in friends and family members. Can this happen with the supplements I was taking? Does anyone have any suggestions on what is going on with my body. Also yesterday evening I had some very light, brown spotting for a few hours before I went to bed and bouts of acid reflex. The last few days I have had nausea and mood swings as well. And this is not normally part of my cycle. ???

I'm also angry/irritable on and off. Especially when I first wake up and extremely tired. Been sweating really bad in my sleep. Which is not normal.

Hi kgalg,

I'm sorry to hear you've had such a difficult morning. What is your nutritionist treating you for? Do you know why she suggested the licorice root for follicular phase of your cycle (first half) and the wild yam for the luteal phase (second half)?

Are you trying to conceive? If so, please let me know how old you are, how long you have been trying, and if you've been on birth control in the past (what type and for how long).

Warm Regards,

Kate
    Pregnancy Consultant and Mother of 5

While awaiting your response, I'd like to share that Licorice Root helps to maintain proper hormone production by supporting the endocrine system. It works to help balance estrogen levels which is why your nutritionist suggested taking it during the beginning of your cycle, when estrogen levels need to be higher than progesterone levels. Licorice Root also strengthens the immune system and helps with insulin resistance (common in women with PCOS).

Once ovulation occurs (preferably around day 14 of your cycle), the estrogen level starts to drop, and progesterone needs to increase and become dominant in order to sustain a possible pregnancy. Wild Yam used during the luteal phase can boost progesterone production and support the luteal phase.

If you are trying to conceive, you know you are ovulating around day 14 (which would be the day you would ovulate for a 28 day cycle) and you are having 28 day cycles, then the herbs you were given could have wreaked havoc with your hormones, giving you a longer cycle, heavier bleeding, cramps, mood swings, etc. The nausea and mood swings could also be the result of hormonal imbalance, and the brown blood is old blood that was left over in your uterus from the month before. Ideally we want the uterus to completely empty every month so that a new period starts with fresh, red blood.

Have you asked your nutritionist if what you are experiencing is normal for what she is trying to do for you? Once I know a little more about your situation, I will be able to give you more insight.

Warm Regards,

Kate

I had a slight hormone imbalance and hypo thyroid issues plus we are getting ready to start trying to conceive (also note: she just tries to keep my thyroid balanced) i take a separate vitamin for thyroid when my body wants it (she checks me every 1-2 weeks as of now). Yes this is correct. Days 4 to 13 are licorice root and 14-27 wild yam. I did get a hold of her today (she was out of town and said every now and again this will happen the first time i start taking it and she has some enzymes if I need them I can pick them up tomorrow but she said make sure I'm consuming a lot of protein).

So we are not trying to conceive yet but last cycle we did have intercourse (unprotected) on days 7 and 18 of my cycle. I have been on birth control in the past this was over 3 years ago, I was mislead to by my ex-doctor to believe that the IUD mirena was a good idea. It took me almost a year to completely balance back out but the last 2 years I have been regular.

I have major trust issues with any kind of health care professional but for the most part have been happy with my nutritionist I just am getting used to the idea of trusting one so I like to have multiple opinions to make me feel more at ease. I have pre picked a midwife and she seemed pretty comfortable with what my nutritionist but said she would like to check my progesterone my next cycle while we are trying because she has a cream that she prefers to use as she is more familiar it. Oh and I am 25 years old and have a 5 year old daughter. I always have a 28 day cycle and around me 13-14th days I always have a good amount fertile discharge. Let me know if you need to know anything else and thank you for your help.

K

Also I have slight breakouts due to hormonal balance so that's something she was working on and they have improved. She was very confident saying that sometimes this happens the first cycle when things are balancing out but it should be back to normal next month. I just get so overly worried and mistrusting I like to know what others think on top of it.

Hi kgalg,

Thank you for sharing more about your situation.

When I work with a client, we go over a detailed intake profile and I pay special attention to her cycle the first month. I teach her how to track her fertile window (the days when she is fertile) and how to pinpoint ovulation. This tells me how long her follicular phase is (the first part of her cycle before ovulation) and how long her luteal phase is (the days after ovulation, leading up to the first day of her next period). If I see good signs of fertility and indication of ovulation on day 14, coupled with a 28 day cycle, I am encouraged that she should be able to conceive easily, as long as there is not a problem with the sperm or semen.

In your situation, if I saw increasing signs of fertility on days 10,11, 12, 13 and 14, and we got a positive ovulation test on day 12 or 13, and you started your next period on day 29 (giving you a 28 day cycle, because day 29 would actually be counted as day 1 of the next cycle) I would focus on a fertility diet, fertility enhancing supplements, avoiding toxins, getting enough high quality rest, reducing stress and having enough activity in your day. If you were willing, I would focus on this for 3 months to give your body the best chance of creating a truly healthy egg, which makes for a truly healthy baby.

It takes 4 months for an egg cell to ripen into a fully mature egg that can be fertilized. 3 months of preconception care can be very helpful in producing a healthy baby and avoiding miscarriage.

Acne can be an indication of hormonal imbalance and often is associated with PCOS. However, someone with PCOS will usually have other indications, like weight gain, especially around the middle. If an ultrasound is done of the ovaries, you can usually see a "ring of pears" on the ovaries. These are cysts that have formed on the ovaries when the follicles cannot release the egg. Women with PCOS don't ovulate, even though they can get positive ovulation tests. In fact, sometimes they can get multiple positive ovulation tests day after day or they will see it very early in their cycle, whereas someone without PCOS will only see a LH surge (positive ovulation test) for a few hours.

This is why it's important to gauge how long the first part of your cycle is, and how long the second part of your cycle is.

I did have one client who was not overweight (in fact she was underweight) and who had regular cycles. But she had PCOS and was not ovulating. Her doctor gave her medication to force ovulation and after a few cycles of this, she finally conceived and had a beautiful baby girl.

One thing that will be especially helpful for you is to become your own advocate by researching about what your midwife, nutritionist or health care provider discusses with you. Ask lots of "why" and "how" and "what" questions. (i.e. Why do you suggest this? How does it work? What is it used for?)

There is an excellent book available called "Taking Charge of Your Fertility". This will help you understand your cycles, your fertile window (the egg only lives for 12-24 hours every cycle, then it dies and cannot be fertilized) and how all of your hormones work together to reproduce.

You may want to continue working with your nutritionist for another month. If she gives you the herbs again and your cycle does not regulate you may want to talk with her about going off the herbs and just working on your diet, sleep, stress reduction and focus on a fertility enhancing lifestyle.

Warm Regards,

Kate
    Last edited by 5Homebirths4Kate; 5th December 2014 at 02:28 PM.

So I think we all are completely on the same page here minus the PCOS thing. Nutritionist and midwife have been on board for us to start trying to conceive this cycle. So I feel way better right now and like a slight idiot. I do ask a lot of questions maybe to many for myself to keep up with at times and maybe my research gets the best of me. So, I am taking a liver cleanse this week because I've been feeling a bit sick... and major miscommunication... I thought she was talking about the licorice and wild yam when she was telling me this could be from the liver cleanse as she is out of town and we had to communicate through her assistant. From all my detoxing and prepping for trying to get pregnant and getting my health up I had some blockage going on so she gave me some hepatic tone to help me get that cleared up. You have been so helpful and way more informative that I could have imagined. I'm so glad I found this site it has definitely been a good resource to me. I did look up more information on liver detoxing and things really add up. Does that make sense to you as well? She will also be checking me monitoring me through the weeks this month to make sure my body is doing better and my midwife wants to check my progesterone levels too. Do you think I'm headed down the right path here? Choosing an experienced midwife and a nutritionist for my health care? Any more suggestions? Things to watch for? And thank you so much again!

K

Hi I have a question regarding eating in Japanese restaurant. I have posted this question somewhere else and thought that I might get a response sooner here. I am almost 10 weeks. My work is hosting a Christmas party in Japanese restaurant. No one yet knows that I'm pregnant. I was wondering how safe is to eat vegetarian and cooked rolls? Is it possible they can get cross contamination when they slice them with the same knife and on the same surface that is used for raw fish rolls? Should I stay away from all the rolls all together?