Drinking Tea in Pregancy

Hello,
    I would like to ask the following:
    1) Is safe to drink green tea during pregnancy?
    2) What type of tea is restricted to pregnant women?

Hi,

Yes green tea is safe to drink in pregnancy. It is very low in caffeine; it contains 25 mg of caffeine per cup. You should consume no more than 200 mg of caffeine per day in pregnancy. It is also wise to watch your caffeine consumption when you are breastfeeding.

Herbal teas do not contain any caffeine. However, not all types of herbal teas are safe to drink in pregnancy. You should avoid drinking the following types of herbal tea in pregnancy:

Sage tea
    Parsley tea
    tea containing Valerian (some women still choose to drink these occasionally in pregnancy)
    only drink Camomile tea in moderation
    only drink Raspberry leaf tea from 32 weeks pregnancy

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Hello LJ,

Thank you so much for the advice. I appreciate you taking time to compile the list of teas we should avoid during pregnancy.

Kind regards,
    Jay

I have read that you can drink even coffee if not strong and not more than one cup per day

Hello Karina1987,

Thank you for your comments on this.

It depends on the caffeine content of the coffee and that your overall daily caffeine consumption does not go over 200 mg.

A typical mug of filter coffee contains 100-140 mg of caffeine. What you need to be aware of is that some single coffee drinks sold in coffee chains have been found to contain more than 200 mg of coffee in just one drink.

For this reason, some pregnant ladies choose to drink decaffeinated coffee in pregnancy. It is best if this is decaffeinated by the Swiss Water Filter Process. Otherwise it will be chemically decaffeinated which may have negative side effects in pregnancy.

Wishing you all the best,
    LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 26th August 2016 at 02:58 AM.

Note that you can use this online caffeine calculator to check your caffeine consumption.

Great info on this thread! Thanks everyone!

Hi doctor!

I used to drink tea in a normal routine three or four cups.It will be loss for my pregnancy or not?Is it loss for my child?I can't leave to drink tea.To be very frankly tell me about that.I can carry on it or leave?I am really so much worried about that.Please you tell me about that.Thanks a lot

I love green tea, so is it safe when you're pregnant?

So good to know! I love teas! Thank you for compiling the list of teas!